Tranny is toast

mustangman70

Founding Member
Dec 30, 2001
St pete, Florida
Well i think shes going.....the past few days....when ever i would leave a light it would feel liek something was grinding......then tonight it is real bad.... if i come to a stop it is revving at like 900 and not moving anywhere if i let off the brake (automatic C4) i have to give it a bit of gas then it jumps and klunks a bunch then it takes off....the fluid is fine by the way :(

Any idea on what it may be>?????

Dammit......now its DEFINITLY coming off of the road for a while....time to fix the rust and build the windsor while i drive the bike and the beater.....

• Sponsors (?)

If it's grinding stop trying to figure it out withou taking the tranny out. all it's going to do is ruin hard parts that could still be salvagable.Probably the aluminum pinion that broke if I had to guess.

Can be done cheaper than that. I modified my auto pedals, clutch pedal cost $200. You will have to go with a hydraulic setup because a quadrant cable design won't work on our cars because of clearance with the cowl. So that is $450, then the tranny adn bell will set you back around $1000, and a clutch for about $150-$300. Can be done fairly cheap if you know where to look.

Allright thanks alot guys this is helping s bunch, thank god i have a beater and i can take my time with it....So i need

T-5 trannie and bell (1,000 or so)
Clutch (150-300)
Hydralic clutch setup (450)
Clutch pedal (200) (what is involved in "modifying" the auto pedals.

What about the driveshaft?

With that nitrous kit you will need the extra torque capacity of the 90-94 Mustang T5, and even that may not be enough. There are upgrade kits for the T5 that you should consider and even that may not be enough.

You will also need a flywheel, the automatic flexplate currently in there will not get it. IIRC 10.5" diameter w/157 teeth. Make sure the fly wheel has the correct balance for your engine.

Others have used cable clutch mechanisms. Check out
http://www.mustangsteve.com/msFAQtransmission.html

OOPS - the MustangSteve stuff is for 65-68, not yours, I would check with MS to see if he has something for your year car.

HTH

mustangman70 said:
Allright thanks alot guys this is helping s bunch, thank god i have a beater and i can take my time with it....So i need

T-5 trannie and bell (1,000 or so)
Clutch (150-300)
Hydralic clutch setup (450)
Clutch pedal (200) (what is involved in "modifying" the auto pedals.

What about the driveshaft?

Oh yes the driveshaft may have to be shortened, I went with an aluminum one for $300, but also I had a C6 so it was a lot longer than a T5 so my driveshaft fell short. I also forgot you will need a flywheel which you can get a basic steel one for like $100, and then just resurface it. I got a 5.0 one for free thanks to Ronstang and had it balanced for an early style engine. The whole thing is actually a very simple swap to do I was surprised. My problem was I tried to do all this in conjunction with some other stuff. To modify the auto pedals on the 69 which should be the same on a 70. The pedal hangar comes with the holes for the clutch so that just slides right in. Then you have to cut and work the auto pedal to be smaller like the manual pedal, it is very easy to do. Definitely worth the $300 savings from buying a $500 pedal set. The worst part of the whole swap was not removing the engine, tranny, or even the swap. The worst part of it all is getting those damned pedals out and back in from under the car.

mustangman70 said:
What gears will go well with a T-5......3:73's????
To me it depends on the first gear of the T5 that you get. According to this chart:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index2.shtml
the T5 for V8 have either a 3.35 or 2.95 first gear. If you multiply the rear end ratio by the first gear ratio you get the overall torque multiplier of the drivetrain.
. rear gear
. 3.55 3.73
First gear
2.95 10.5 11.0
3.35 11.9 12.5

Crap, looks like the posting software reformats the table. Hope you get the idea.

A bigger number equals more acceleration, but earlier shifting.

You can compute your mph for a given gearing as
MPH = (RPM*tire height)/(336*trans ratio*rear end ratio)

I have a 3.55 rear and the 3.35 first gear, with 25 inch tires (215x60-15), so at 5000 rpm, I'm doing 31.3 mph. It gets there with plenty of gusto for me. The 3.73 transmission with the 3.55 gears would be at 29.8 mph at 5000 rpm. Not much difference. Looks like a pick'em.

The other thing to consider is the rpm at cruising speed. I'll let you do the math for that one.

Its an 8 inch

Guys i really dont know when it will be back on the road... i may just buy a 99+ GT or an 03 cobra and start doing the body work that needs to be done on it and worry about the trans at a later date... ive got some serious body work that need to be done :(