• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Tranny Removal Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter DJTR
  • Start date Start date Mar 30, 2010

DJTR

Member
Mar 19, 2004
228
0
16
OTTAWA, Ontario, Canada
Mar 30, 2010
#1
  • Mar 30, 2010
  • #1
Ok here is an interesting one. Now I know that normaly you would unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel from bellow, then split the assembly. Now my problem is that I don't have an engine hoist and the engine/trany combo are on my work bench. Can you split the engine and tranny without unbolting the torque converter first? ( I don't care about spilled fluid ) I can't roll the engine over the bench isn't that big and I don't have anyone to help.

or does anyone have any simple hints here? I need to start stripping this engine for rebuild but can't while its stuck on there with a tranny hahaha
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,330
18,058
224
Massachusetts
Mar 30, 2010
#2
  • Mar 30, 2010
  • #2
Yes, you can do it, but the TC will slide off the shaft and make a HUGE mess as fluid comes out.
 

Repostyle

Member
Jun 11, 2005
538
0
16
Portland, OR
Mar 30, 2010
#3
  • Mar 30, 2010
  • #3
+1

No harm, just some clean up time.
 

DJTR

Member
Mar 19, 2004
228
0
16
OTTAWA, Ontario, Canada
Mar 31, 2010
#4
  • Mar 31, 2010
  • #4
I thought so, but as I'm not much of an auto guy I figured I would ask to be sure. Im more of a standard trans guy, however I lucked out on this engine and tranny combo! fresh trany and descent engine(that I'll rebuild anyways) 80 bucks! lol
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Ford truck engine swap issues
  • keel
  • Jul 7, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
17
Views
521
Other Auto Tech Jul 13, 2026
General karthief
P
2002 T5 transmission vibration issue
  • puffoo
  • Feb 22, 2026
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
238
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Feb 22, 2026
puffoo
P
S
Fox '87 GT can't get to stay running
  • spilly
  • Mar 29, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 20, 2026
spilly
S
J
can you use the heads off a H O 302 to put on a regular 302 engine
  • Jan H
  • Feb 25, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
6
Views
476
Other Auto Tech May 17, 2026
nickyb
M
Resolved 1988 Foxbody - Overheating Summer
  • MDrisc
  • Oct 26, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
16
Views
866
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 17, 2026
fasterthangas
F
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?