Tranny stuck in third

Saleenflyer

Dec 19, 2012
Hey guys I hope everyone had a merry Christmas. So my 05 saleen with 30000 miles :poo: something in the tranny/shifter about a week ago and I just wanted some input on how to diagnose it. It started to get really hard to shift into first on my way home and then I felt something give and it wouldn't come out of third. I had to hold the shift stick In a certain position so it wouldn't make a grinding noise. Other than that the car launched from third with relative ease and there was no weird noise when I held the stick in that certain way. As it is now there is no feel to the shifter at all, it has complete free movement in the shift box, no notches at all.

I ordered the mgw shifter cause I thought that's what it was but now I've done some more reading and I've heard it could be the throwout bearing, the linkage on the side of the tranny, or linkages in the top of the transmission. I was hoping some of you guys had experience with this before and could help me diagnose it. Thanks and have a happy new year!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the blocker ring used to synchronize the 3rd gear shift broke, you may even have damage to 3rd gear also. It's not that unheard of, it doesn't require abuse either it can happen with year of miscoordination of your right hand and left foot.

I agree it's not likely a shifter issue, you probably need some transmission work. Sorry to hear that. I had a friend that bought a 2005 brand new and it had the transmission worked on a couple of times before 30k miles. he sold it before the warranty ran out.
On another note. Sparta, Are there any aftermarket parts out there that make the clutch easier to push? Oops, I shouldn't hi-jack this thread. I'll start another.

Well today on my way to my buddies house to try and replace the shifter/diagnose it it took a crap on the side of the highway. Got it towed to a transmission place and they are gonna let me know Monday. Any advice guys?

'no linkages, it's a hydraulic clutch. Sounds like your tranny took a poop.'

Yeah it was the linkage. You didn't know that saleen adds a short throw shifter block to the shift arm. The bushing and bolt in that is what was bad. The entire shift arm was dangling in the drive shaft. I just had to take out the block and insert the shift arm directly into the tranny, like it comes stock.