Transmission/Clutch questions.......need advice?

96 GT JOE

Sep 30, 2004
I cant seem to figure out what is wrong with my 96 gt. The car shifts pretty rough. Commonly grinds during high rpm shifts (1-2 quite often), sometimes it even grinds during casual driving. i have tried pulling upwards on the pedal to adjust the cable, and adjusted the quadrant manually. When i pull upwards on the pedal to adjust it, the pedal feel is bad. The clutch disengages about 1/4" off the floorboard and goes up maybe 2-3 inches, the rest of the pedal travel does nithing. the clutch in my car has about 40k miles on it, not too hardly driven. i was planning to put a king cobra clutch in and hope that the clutch was the problem....but i figured i would ask you guys first. any advice would be great, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging. Grabs way to close to the floor. I just installed a Fiore quadrant and firewall adjuster which does away with all that pedal pulling. Cost me 70$ for both and it's the good one that doesn't have the set screws. You just turn it and it locks every quarter turn. In any case, take care of it before it toasts your tranni synchro's. If your interested, I tell you why I went with the Fiore after a bunch of research.

Sometimes the quadrant and pedal adjustments just don't cut it.

Get under the car and pull off the clutch lever(fork) dust cover. There is one 10mm bolt on the top back of the cover. Then just slide the cover back. Once you have the dust cover off, you will see the threaded end of the clutch cable with the adjustment nut and jam nut on the back side of the clutch lever(fork). First picture below.

You need to loosen the jam nut first. You can either use a wrench or a pair of vise grips on the hex portion of the threaded end to keep the cable from spinning. If your clutch is engaging right off the floor like you said, then you will want to tighten the adjustment nut (pulling the lever to the front of the car). If your clutch ever enagages too high off the floor, you will want to loosen the adjustment. The adjustment nut and jam nut should both be 1/2". Second picture below.

It doesn't take much. I would start with about 3-4 threads of adjustment, and then go from there.

If you don't have a thinwall socket or you are having a hard time getting a socket over the jam nut to loosen it, you can remove the bolt holding the lever stop off the back of the lever and push it slightly aside. Third picture below.

View attachment 408513

View attachment 408515

View attachment 408517

Thanks

Hey guys i just wanted to say thanks for the tech help and the pictures. i have a 96 gt and my clutch cable isnt held on by a nut, in fact theres nothing under there to really adjust. what i did do though was adjust the stock quadrant manually, and then i bent the metal tab towards the drivers seat so that it would not self adjust back to the stock position. The pedal feel now is completely different, and the friction point is at the top of the pedal (it's actually a little to high for my preference, but i'll mess with it another day!). I think i may save up and replace the clutch, cable, quadrant, and get an adjuster. Americanmuscle.com has a kit for $99.99 minus the clutch obviously. Thanks again for all the help guys!