• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-

Transmission issue?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mustmarshall
  • Start date Start date Jul 30, 2018
M

Mustmarshall

New Member
Jul 30, 2018
1
0
1
Pa
Jul 30, 2018
#1
  • Jul 30, 2018
  • #1
Hello! I am new to posting threads, but would like some opinions on a issue with my mustang.
I own a 1966 mustang, 289 engine with 3-speed transmission.
The family and I took our beloved stang out for a hour yesterday and it was running fine. We were about a mile from the storage unit where we keep when the oil pressure gauge went below low. Engine didn't act any different at this point. When I tried to drive the car in the storage unit, I couldn't get the front tires to roll over a two lip in the storage unit concrete while in first gear. I turned the car off and put it in neutral and my wife and I tried to push the car but it would not budge. At this point I had started the car back up, put the car in reverse and had the RPM up high and she moved backwards. Then put the car in first and had the RPM up high and finally got it in the storage unit. It was probably not the best idea to do that, but had to get her put away.
I ended up spending the night thinking what could have gone wrong. First thing that puzzled me was not being able to push the car in neutral. I thought maybe jacking up the rear and seeing if the rear wheels and drive train would freely move. Thoughts on this?
Next for what is happening on not able to move the car in gear. Could this be a clutch box issue or linkage issue.
I have never worked on a transmission and need all the help I can get. All opinions are welcome.
Thanks!
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,418
8,365
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Aug 3, 2018
#2
  • Aug 3, 2018
  • #2
It sounds like a brake issue ,like the brakes are dragging . The wheel cylinders sometimes rust and the puck will not return locking up the brakes . Jack up a front tire and try to spin it,if it is hard to turn or drags it is the brakes
 
Reactions: rgsauger
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
85 Capri 5.0 transmission rattle
  • Mamaclean
  • May 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
206
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 17, 2026
Mamaclean
M
K
4r70w transmission problems
  • Kiddmustang
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
173
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jul 21, 2026
squeak93
00 4.6L V8 new clutch won’t go into gear when on?
  • Timboslice
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
178
The Welcome Wagon Aug 21, 2026
Noobz347
L
Engine 85 GT Excessive Idle
  • lutzkecj
  • Sep 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
209
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 21, 2026
86HO5.0
8
Ford truck engine swap issues
  • keel
  • Jul 7, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
17
Views
521
Other Auto Tech Jul 13, 2026
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?