transmission mount question

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
S.I.NY
ok so my 2k gt has a little rear end thud but along with that i now i have what feels to be a transmission mount that is bad.. the car when coming to a stop espicially a hard one will have a hard not harsh though THUD in the drive line and then when u let off the brake you can feel it again and if it doesnt happen then it will happend once there is throttle applied.. what do you guys think? i see the only mount listed is one mount on the crossmember so could this be it
?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

how possible could this be seeing as ive never ever heard of this happening before not saying its not possible though

check motor mounts rear bushings

Any transmission leaks or oil leaks? Something that may account for the mount breaking down? How did you check the mount?

Consider checking the motor mounts while you are at it. I think it is more likely the motor mounts are weak and that has contributed to the transmission mount going bad.

A 2000 is almost 10 years old. Mustangs (esp manual ones) can be hard on motor mounts. IMO, it is not as far fetched as it may seam.

It is also possible that the motor is setting lower in the K-member. This is changing the pinon angle. However, I think this is a long shot for your problem.

While you are at it, inspect the bushings on the diff. Look at the lower control arms and the upper control arms on the diff. If the bushings are worn and allowing the rear end to shift forward. The clunking sound may be the slip yoke bottoming out inside the transmission.

mine did it every time i take off hard, i fix it by using a universal metal strap and some self drilling screws to snug the top coil to the purch, you will also have noise there if youve takin/have deteriorated spring rubbers.

I haven't checked it yet because my lift at work was jammed up all day but I figured i'd ask, wmburns I have zero leaks at all from anything, how would you suggest checking the mounts with a prybar right ??

Maybe someone else can chime in on this. I have always diagnosed bad motor mounts by symptoms such as:

• Increased engine vibration/noise in the passenger compartment
• Motor setting lower in the engine bay. Usually noticed by the decreased clearance between the K-member and the oil pan. Next is the increased clearance between the throttle body and the strut brace (if equipped).
• A motor supported with stock mounts should rotate in response to torque. If it moves up/down or doesn't move hardly at all, this indicates a problem.
• Age/mileage of the vehicle.

There is the old standby method of looking at the mounts to see if the rubber is cracked (not always possible while still on the car).

I have read to use pry bar on the transmission. Almost any movement is bad.

In your case, if you do not find any obvious source of the noise from the engine/transmission mounting, don’t forget to look at the rear differential itself.

The suggestion about the spring perches is a good one. However, IMO, if the spring perch angle proves out, I think there will be other contributing factors as well (control arm bushings, shocks, quad shocks).

In short, look for anything that can cause the differential to move (or rotate) more than it should. Pay close attention to any modifications done previously (lowered, control arms, aftermarket bushings).

Reactions: 1 user
When dealing with cars that have the shifter directly mounted to the transmission like most manual RWD cars, you should notice the shifter moving around whenever you take off or shift if the transmission mount is going or gone... it's easy enough to check however if you can get under the car with some room and pry it as someone else said. I'd be more inclined to say it's the motor mounts since you didn't mention obvious movement of the shifter.

Yep I had a squeking noise coming from "at the time" my engine bay? Asked several people who are techs. an they couldn't really tell where it was coming from? Bought engine stethiscope checked all over the engine an LUCKLY was nothing wrong with the motor. But the motor mounts were shot. Completely broken an streched out bad. turned out to be quik fix.
Trans. mounts looked good. But i'm goin to change them anywhey?

well i have no noise or vibration like a bad mount that i know to look for, there is no movement of the shifter as mentioned just this rediculous thud.. im thinking maybe the motor mounts still , the car was not abused it was owned by the original owner a 75 yr old women with every service done at the dealer ship ... i know her daughter personally

any other ways to check the converter? im almost positive it may have been replaced by ford once before for leaking i gotta get my records out from the originial owner , ill post back when i fiind it

ok so here we have it at 71795 the car had a tranny leak - verified the leak as a leaking torque converter seal- they pulled the tranny and changed the whole converter w/ seal, and then replaced transmission filter and gasket and filled with new fluid... so what do you guys think

:scratch: Umm I know if you take it back to the dealership to check out. They are more than likely goin to charge to take a look at it an diagnois for you? an they replaced all the stuff you mentioned that was wrong? but then again if they did something wrong then you might get away not paying?

Whats the milage now?

Me personally i would take to a transmission shop. let them see what its doing? an hopefully they could led you in right direction if that seems to be the problem? they are more than likely goin to have better knowledge of something wrong an what it sounds like?
Not that techs at dealerships aren't good mechanic too. don't want anyone hating.

well I didn't have it done the women who previously owned it in Florida had it done , the miliage is 93000 now , I can't figure it out at my shop so IM gonna go down to a friends shop on Saturday and figure it out an I'll let you guys know

IM trying to do this on my own as I do all my own work and money is tight for me so sorry guys if I am going nuts I just don't have much room to spend here as I bought this car with my own coin and pay the INS etc. so thanks very much for the replies and help so far , you guys r awsome

I experience similar noises. Originally I thought it was tranny mount, replaced with no improvements. Then changed u-joints, no improvements. Next step for me is to replace motor mounts and spring isolators, then pray. Following this I will replace my control arms with adjustables to fix pinion angle (lowered 2 inches). If you are going to keep your stang start doing these things. I have 77K miles and all suspension bushings will be upgraded by spring. Matter of time before they are needed anyways.

yea its beenon my list since day 1 dude unfortunatly bills and school come first or id have one bad ass car by now