Transmission question

TygerRRT

Feb 13, 2012
When I bought my 89 'Stang a few years ago, I was told it has a Tremec transmission. I now need to replace a warped drive shaft and so I need to know for sure, since the drive shaft would have to be a little longer for the Tremec than for the T5. Is there a way to tell for sure what I have?

• Sponsors (?)

Tremec or not, the driveshaft length should be the same, it's the splines on the output shaft that are different, when you are pulling out the driveshaft see what model trans you have.

Buy a ford racing aluminum driveshaft and if necessary swap over the yoke from the existing one and you should be fine.

A Tremec 3550/TKO/TKO 500/TKO 600 is a completely different transmission from a T5. Strong and almost bulletproof unless you run them without proper lubricant or full throttle shift without the clutch.

A Tremec T5 is still the same T5 that is prone to self destruction when used in a street/strip or racing environment

photo_t5.jpg

T5, all versions used in 5.0 Mustangs

photo_tko.jpg

Tremec 3550/TKO /TKO500/TKO600 AFTERMARKET replacement for T5 - handles racing environments with ease

See http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/tremec.asp for more information - check out the"Light Duty" group, since TTC makes monster transmissions for big trucks as well as passenger cars.

T5 identifier information.
On the tail shaft of the transmission, there will be a stamped aluminum tag. The tag will have a number on it that you can cross reference to the chart below. There is no other way to find out what type of T5 it is without disassembling it. All the rest of the numbers on the outside of the T5 case are part numbers which are not unique to any particular T5 model.

Remember that 94 - 97 T5's have a longer input shaft and can only be used with a 94-95 bell housing unless you modify or replace the input shaft.

T5's used with a 4 cylinder have a 3.93 first gear, reduced torque ratings and an input shaft pilot diameter that is smaller that the T5 used for V6 & V8 engines. The Pilot diameter is .59" compared to the .668" used on V6 & V8 T5's. It requires a different pilot bearing to be used with a V6 or V8. The pilot bearing you need is for a Ford Ranger diesel from AutoZone part #14672

t5-identifier-gif.68815