Transmission shop says my T5 needs a rebuild. Would I be better off buying new

The_Dude

Aug 17, 2004
Western Oregon
They want to sell me a rebuilt for $975. I see a new Super Duty T5 is $1295 + shipping at Summit Racing. It's in my '91 convertible which will probably never see any track time. What do you guys think I should do?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sure if I tell them who to use, they won't warranty it, so I'll have to cough the extra dough for a rebuild. They're also clients of my wife's so I need to maintain a good relationship. I was just wondering if going new would be a better deal.

The advantage that I can see to a rebuild is that if they (the rebuilders) know anything about the T5, they'll replace the weakest links (aluminum bearing retainer for example) with upgrade parts.

$1000 for a rebuilt T-5 is about the highest price I've ever heard paid for one. For a shop t-5, it's overpriced by about $300-400. He'll, vie sold rebuilt t-5s vie built for $400 and they are still kicking.

I'd trust a brand new z-spec for $200 more over an unknown rebuilt. There are even aftermarket options available. Plus you get a stronger trans and a lower 1st and 5th gear.