transmission temp gauge???

1991notchbackLX

Dec 25, 2007
New York
Today I received the radio plate with the three gauges from 50resto.com. I have three autometer gauges that I'd like to install... the gauges I ordered are fuel level, voltmeter, and trans temp (I already have an A pillar pod with oil pressure and water temp) The voltmeter and fuel level shouldn't be a problem, but I was wondering where to install the fitting with the sender for the transmission temp gauge considering my car is a 5 speed and there is no pan to drill and tap.

I called a local mustang shop and they told me to install the fitting for the sender in the drain plug hole with the proper size fitting from a hardware store. Does anyone have any suggestions where to place the sender besides that? Has anyone installed this gauge on their 5 speed before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Typically a trans temp gauge is used only for Automatics.

Manual transmissions don't really need them. Unless you plan on road racing where your car will see WOT conditions for hours at a time, it's nothing to really worry about. You won't get anywhere near the temps an AOD would see and heat won't kill the manual trans's components like it would an Auto

But if you want to run it, then yes, the only place to install it is in place of the lower drain plug. It's 1/2NPT i beleive.

thanks guys, i understand i don't really need the temp gauge for the tranny, but it was more aesthetically pleasing than having a big empty spot on the gauge plate...

could any of you guys post a pic that shows where the drain plug is on the trans?? my chiltons manual doesn't illustrate where it is and i'd like to have an idea so i spend the least time under the car as possible... thanks again

It would be on the passenger side of the car, very bottom of the T-5.

Here's a shot of the t-5 case, This is what you'll see.

Attachments

• Dsc00004.jpg
    Dsc00004.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 230