tremec 3550 trans help!?

ok so i found a decent deal on a tremec 3550 trans and pro 5.0 shifter. comes with small block ford bell housing. guy said he had it in a 1990 mustang gt. my t5 trans is shot in 2nd and 3rd gear so i was going to buy this and bolt it to a built 306 and put it in MY 1990 gt. i was just wandering if its worth it and what all i will need to bolt it in my car because the owner of the trans is trying to tell me its a direct bolt up but i would think the drive shaft would need custom made and clutch would be different and wat about the cross member? please help me before i go wasting hard earned cash on this!!!:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

As long as you have the right bell housing and shifter, you're good to go. I swapped a 3550 in to replace a C4 the previous owner installed. It has been a good trans for me, i've beat it for about 7 years now. Every now and then after making a hard pass at the track, it WILL NOT go into 3rd gear for some reason....but once the car cools off, it shifts just fine. Nobody can tell me why but i've heard others have the same issue. Otherwise it shifts fine...3rd will grind sometimes if i shift super fast, but i suspect that may also have something to do with 6500rpm shifts and a worn out clutch/pressure plate.

get it.. much better trans then a t5 imo.

they are 10 spline input shafts stock, same output shaft too. clutch will work and driveshaft does not need modified. mine shifts pretty smooth, comparible to my t5.