Tremec 3650 fluid!

camon

Sep 19, 2005
Hey all!

I have a 2001 Mustang GT with a Tremec 3650 (5spd) with 70,000 miles.

Doing a trans fluid change this weekend and i've been researching the job!

Few question due to confussion!

What is the correct fluid to use (best stuff out there)?
I read that some are using the same gear fluid used in the rear, some are even using the modifier aswell :jaw: !
Most are using regular ATF fluid, some are using synth, while others say not to use synth (it does more harm then good).
What should I buy for this car. The trans/car is in perfect condition. I just want to do preventive service on the car and not create a problem because I used the wrong fluid!

Also is it true that it is easier to get to the fill plug from inside the car (remove shifter, and fill from in the car)?

Thanks, and have a great day!

• Sponsors (?)

I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my last T5 and it worked just dandy. I had used the regular ATF in it previous to that, but I always seemed to get a slight "grind" during cold morning shifts until the fluid warmed up. Going the synthetic route cured that.

Never use gear oil in your trans. Its far too thick and there are too many intricate and complex parts in the transmission that will not be properly saturated.

Big thanks!

Thanks for the info eveyone, the Synthetic Blend it is (XT-5-QSM)!

I am also gonna buy the gasket set by CobraBob (thanks for the link) to quite the 5.0 short throw shifter I have!

Thanks again everyone!

Need quick reply if possible (work monday)!

Afternoon all!

Sorry for bring back my old thread but I am just checking on something here!

I ended up going with GM Synchromesh Penzoil brand #123453??, alot of people swear by it so I thought what the heck...."I'll give it as shot"!

Ok So I Drianed the old fluid out (via drain plug). I also removed the fill plug located above drain plug on Passenger side (Didn't fill from it though....went through shifter)!

Ok my reason for posting is......
I have heard that 3.2 quarts are used to fill the trans.
Some say add fluid until it comes out the fill hole, others say fill slowly until you can feel the fluid by sticking your finger in the fill hole!

Well I poured 3-1/2 bottles of penzoil syncho in the trans and no fluid came out the fill hole, nor when I checked it could I feel the level by sticking my finger in the fill hole. I stopped at 3-1/2 bottles because I didn't want to over fill the trans!

I haven't driven the car much (about 3 miles) and it seems to be shifting fine and sounds about the same as before the change (no weird noises). I just want to verify with you guys that I have put enough in (don't want to blow the tranny on my 50 mile commute to and from work Monday)!

What do you guys think......add more and let it as is??????

I filled mine till it started running out the inspection hole. A couple ounces in either direction isn't going to make a difference. Although too little fluid may cause foaming in the trans at highway speeds, like too little fluide also does in the rear end.

Gearbanger:

Thanks for the reply!

I was just down @ my garage and re-checked my work!
I believe eveything is fine. I used a straw to feel inside the fill hole and the level is about an inch or so from the bottom of the hole (I put 3-1/2 quarts in when it only calls for 3.2 quarts.... If anything I added a little more then recomended, so i'm calling it good)!

Also, something I don't understand. If you are suppose to add fluid until it comes out the filler hole, and that is 3.2 quarts. How did they put 4 quarts in it from factory, or even 3.8 before they changed it to 3.2!
I don't get the whole add til it runs out thing!!! It would seem to me that if it runs out you would have 4 quarts or more in it!!!!!!

Well thanks again for the response, have a great night!