tremec 3650

Yesterday I traded some of my old TRX rims/tires for a tremec 3650. The tranny has a reverse gear problem. After getting it fixed, does anyone know what I need to put it in my 88 gt. It looks like I will need a new shifter and bell housing. Also, does anyone know where you can get a decent rebuild kit? I seem to only be able to find ones for 3550 and TKO's.....

Thanks Joe

• Sponsors (?)

Whats the diff between the 3550, tko, and 3650?

The 3550 was the first transmission in the Tremec 3xxx series. It has a 10 spline input and an output shaft that matches the stock Mustang driveshaft yoke. It is rated to 350 ft/lb of torque, but it will pass more than that.

The TKO/TKO500/TKO600 were the next step up. Some of the TKO models used a 26 spline input shaft and an output shaft that requires a larger driveshaft yoke. All of the TKO variants had increased power handling over the 3550. The TKO500 & TKO600 also have different gear options from the 3550, some of them are close ratio gearsets. This is one of the best 5 speed transmissions you can get.

The 3650 is a poor imitation of the 3550 with a fixed bellhousing and different gear ratios. Check out the mod motor forum and do a search on 3650 and you will find out all sorts of information.

See www.ttcautomotive.com for more information. Look under light duty transmisions. The other transmissions they make are for big trucks. All of the Tremec 3xxx transmissions have service manuals available as a free download. If you want to look inside and seet the differences, you can use them for that purpose.