Drivetrain Tremec TKX 5-Speed

Swhitney

Feb 11, 2019
Oregon City
Has anyone installed and ran the Tremec TRX transmission? TRX 5-Speed

Originally I was thinking about running a T56, but now that I look at it, it seems like a hassle. There's technically nothing run with running a 5-speed in a Fox as long as it stays in one piece.

Is this a direct bolt in transmission?

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

I was looking at converting over from my current AOD to a 5/6 speed in the future. Even though it's more expensive than a T-5, you'll never break these newer Tremec's. Can't say the same about the T-5s. No trans tunnel mods are required, that was my biggest concern.

I just got mine bolted in. Still winter here in North Dakota so it will be a few months before I can drive it. @nickyb is correct. You'll need a bellhousing, 26 spline clutch and a new yoke. I put in a new crossmember and trans mount too. I went for the .68OD model so the gear ratios will be close to my T5Z I took out. Ordered the whole setup from LMR.
IMG_1019.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I just got mine bolted in. Still winter here in North Dakota so it will be a few months before I can drive it. @nickyb is correct. You'll need a bellhousing, 26 spline clutch and a new yoke. I put in a new crossmember and trans mount too. I went for the .68OD model so the gear ratios will be close to my T5Z I took out. Ordered the whole setup from LMR.
IMG_1019.JPG
Got the same if trans jack. What did the setup run you?

IMG_1019.JPG
What transmission is that?

I’m confused, so go with a TRX T5 or a T56? I guess I’m not concerned about replacing the clutch. I thought the stock clutch system is a 26 spline, no?
Stock clutch is 10 spline. T56 if you’re going to make really serious power. TKX is all new case design and uses same synchros as T56 and is the replacement for the TKO 500 and 600. Not rated for as much power as the T56, but easier fit. T5 for cruiser, medium power and occasional track use. I’m currently make about 450 wheel and have never broken a T5, but plan on increasing power in the future.

If anyone is going to buy one, I would recommend LMR or a tremec dealer who palletizes them like this . Worth the $100 extra.. MUCH better than getting one destroyed by UPS..... Will call would be the other good option....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
ing to buy one, I would recommend LMR if this is the way they package them for freight. Worth the $100 extra.. MUCH better than getting one destroyed by UPS..... Unless you will call one ....

I guess I didn't know LMR carried them. I don't mind going thru a 3rd party vendor what so ever. I'm more curious if I should just bite the bullet and go with a 6-speed or stick with the 5-speed that can handle more torque?

Also, what gear ratio is right for me, and how would I know?