Trick Flow 170 Heads/ Comp Magnum Roller Rockers

Just got my trick flow 170 heads (TFS-51410004-M61) and I have comp cams magnum roller rockers (1431-16). My questions is do I simply NOT install the included Trick Flow guide plates since these are rail rockers when I install my heads?
Going on a stock rebuilt '90 GT bottom end which I have been running upgraded GT40P heads on for a couple of months (Upgraded = converted to 3/8 stud mount, valve job, new valves, comp cam 1.7 magnum roller rockers). Side Note: GT40P heads will be for sale if anyone is interested and I will post them in the classifieds.
Thank you in advance for everyone's input!

• Sponsors (?)

1431s are not a rail rocker according the pictures. They would still need guide plates.

Edit: I guess they are rail type.

I would make sure you have enough valve stem tip. Some setups they hit the top of the retainer if the correct parts aren't used.

Last edited:
1431s are not a rail rocker according the pictures. They would still need guide plates.

Edit: I guess they are rail type.

I would make sure you have enough valve stem tip. Some setups they hit the top of the retainer if the correct parts aren't used.

Thanks. I don't really understand how the ears on the rocker tip can interfere with the guideplates mounted under the stud.

Retainer is what is on top of the valve Springs. Not all heads are setup to run rail type rocker.

As far as the guide plates go. They won't be needed. But it will lower the rocker stud compared to where Trick Flow normally has them if you remove them. So make sure your thread engagement is ok.

Got it, I'll check clearance of retainers.
My thoughts exactly on the guideplates, I wasn't sure if this would alter the geometry with the stud lower when guideplates removed. I guess if the rail doesn't interfere with the retainer then I can install the guideplates too.

Thanks liljoe, appreciate your help. I found that the 1431-16 rockers will not work and there is an alternate comp cams part number for these rockers where rail type are not usable. 1442-16 is the non-rail type part number. Going to get the correct rockers and use guide plates.