Trick Flow ADMITS they didn't put a baffle in my INTAKE!!! OIL GUSHING OUT PVC!!!

NastE50

Founding Member
May 21, 2002
IL
here is what I wrote them...

Hi, I am writing in regards to a product I bought from you guys. I
bought the Trick Flow Track Heat EFI intake manifold for my 5.0 and installed
it along with a ton of other parts. My car has been leaking oil from the
PCV hole in the back of the intake. I have been asking around and I found
out that there is supposed to be an oil baffle on the underside of the
lower intake. I remember when assembling my engine that there was no baffle
on my trick flow intake. Was this a mistake? Was there supposed to be one on there? or did you guys forget to supply me with one to install? If I
have to buy one seperately, do you have any idea where I could locate one? I just can't take the oil leak. It is more like an oil spill. Your help is appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jordan

Here is their 1st response...

Jordan, Where / when did you buy the intake?

My response...

I bought my intake on ebay from a Mustang Parts supplier. I think Mustang Warehouse? It was brand new and when I got it, it had Trick Flow factory sealing on the box. It was in spring of 2002.

(yes its been gushing oil ever since with no solution til now!) :mad:

Their final e-mail...

I will be more than happy to send out a baffle to you at no charge, But I
will need you to FAX me the shipping invoice showing you as the purchaser
before I can send out anything.

This is fine and dandy except for the fact that I don't have records to show this information, it was 2 YEARS AGO!!! I am about to just tell them I will pay them money (even though it IS their fault) so I can end this horrible situation!

• Sponsors (?)

well, at least they admit mistakes happen, and are trying to correct it.

i dont blame them for asking for a reciept. lots of people try and scam free parts.

<3 trickflow

Gee where does it show that they admitted it?

IMO they owe you nothing. You should have made sure all the parts where there when you bought the intake AND if there were any issues you should have dealt with the dealer from where you bought it from.

You should blame trickflow...

Alright, I will say that I was a bit upset when writing that but thats only because I know for a fact that when I opened the box, that part was NOT in there. I remember distinctly. I am so upset because this is such an embarrassment. I built this engine from scratch myself. I was 18 years old. I never did it before in my life. I never did heads, cams, or anything, not even headers. I was going into it blind. I drove to D.S.S.'s front door of their new building in St. Charles Illinois and bought their stud girdle, windage tray, rods, pistons, and bearings. I gapped the rings myself, I did everything myself. I took my time and assembled the whole thing right the first time. It has amazing power but the oil problem is driving me crazy! I have pulled the engine out of the car once thinking it was the rear main seal only to find that it was all pouring out the PVC hole. NOW tell me THAT wasn't a pain in the arse. I am outside ripping off my intake awaiting Trick Flow's email back to me letting me know how much and where to send my money so I can purchase this part that they left out of the box. I wish I knew to ask you guys about this problem earlier. I just want my Mustang to run like it should. If you put this much effort into your ride, then you would have to understand. Pulling up to the Krispy Kreme parking lot smoking oil and smelling horrible is NOT cool, no matter how fast your car may be.

Right. Engine projects almost never go off without a hitch, even for the seasoned pros. It's a testament to your attention to detail that it's only this that went wrong, as well and a WHOLE LOTTA GOOD LUCK! Even when everything is done perfectly, there is always a problem with a part not fitting/functioning like it's supposed to by no fault of the engine builder. You made out well. Good luck on getting it all back together, and enjoy good donuts in the meantime.

As a sidenote, my cheapo Chinese Typhoon intake came with the baffle installed. :stick:

I wrote trickflow an email telling them that I would just pay for the part and they didn't respond for 4 days so I called them, talked to a very understanding representative and he told me that the baffle was supposed to be on the lower intake when it left the doors at trick flow. He asked if i could stick my finger all the way through the hole and if I could see the lifter valley with a flashlight and I said YES. He immediately asked for my address. I asked him how much $ I had to pay and he said, "Oh, I am very sorry about this, I am gettin' one in the mail for you right now free of charge." I guess things are gonna be ok. I will just have to spend sometime cleaning the whole underside of my car from the oil and I will be purchasing another set of Fel-Pro intake manifold gaskets :bang: . I hope this makes the missfiring go away from all the oil going into the cylinders. Maybe then my car will go faster than 13.4 @ 109! :banana:

This is NOT a THREAD knocking Trick Flow, it is just here so you guys are all aware of this headache that should be avoided at ALL costs.

sirsureshot39, I LOVE your car man. I think its in my top 10 favorite Mustangs I've seen, keep up the good work! Is your H/C/I setup similar to mine at all and if so, how much boost are you running to acheive that rwhp? I am trying to figure out if I want to go Vortech or Turbo. I hope these DSS bottom ends are what they make them out to be!

Great...I just installed my Performer lower and upper...hope I didn't forget anything...I've already had to tear it down a couple times...

What is the oil baffle...someone explain to me...is it the "sheild" under where the pcv valve goes into...it is on the bottom side of the lower intake...my Performer had it...I hope that is right?

If you can look straight into the lifter valley you don't have the screen filter either....

The last 2 cars I took apart had no baffle or screen, some guys just don't know or don't pay close attention and they don't get installed. I don't take anything for granted anymore when building motors, check everything....