Tried Starting Car...Just Clicks

92GreenGT

PEAT
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Big Stone Gap, VA
Hey guys, I went out to start my car this morning and it just clicked. Im about 100% positive its something to do with the starter soleniod. I have the mini starter from PA Performance that I got last year. I put the little red wire on the post by itself and all the other wires on the other post. The big black cable comming up from the starter I moved to the positive cable on the battery to give me more room on the post with all the wires on it. I'm sure its just one calb e I need moved. So ill just have to play with it and figure it out. Also, im moving my tachometer becuase I dont like the position I had it in. So im going to ask, if their is better places to run the wires. I have 1 running to a ground, the other running to the headlight wire, one to the coil, and the other on the right post of the soleniod. Does that sound like best way to run my tach wires? Man, that post was confusing.:lol:

Cliffnotes: I need to make sure I have all my wires on the right post of the soleniod and I want to make sure my wires for my tach are correct.

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Occasionally my 88 does the same thing, it has to do with the clutch safety, let it up and push it back down a few times till it reralises the clutch IS pushed to the floor.... Not sure if this is your prob though.

Hell tell ya what guys, I didnt even have the cables tight on the battery. I figured that was the problem. Its pouring the rain here and I relocated my tach. So if it clears off I will go tighten everything down real good and see what happens. I believe thats the problem but im not 100% sure. Thanks for giving me that assurance.

Dave

Well I let the battery charge for an hour or so. Put it back in and tried to crank it up. Sure enough same problem....hmmm. So I sit their and tried to crank it again, click click. Well huh, so I tried it again. Fired right up. Turned it off and tried again, fired right up. I let it sit for a few minutes running. Turned it off, and it fired right up again. Hard to say what it was, oh well...fixed now.:nice:

Dave

Yeah, tell ya the truth I put the battery back in and didnt even tighten up the cables and it fired right up. So tomorrow im going to go and do a check up and tighten up everything that can be. Seems I will be good to go after that. Only thing left is putting my inner fender back in.

Dave

Make sure all the terminals and connections are CLEAN, it make a big difference and will caus eht erratic starting like you described.

I'd take the tach power off the headlight wires, and tap into a different wire. You cna use a few 12v sources that run on the steering column. I run the ground to one of the ground under the dash...

Rick 91GT said:
Make sure all the terminals and connections are CLEAN, it make a big difference and will caus eht erratic starting like you described.

I'd take the tach power off the headlight wires, and tap into a different wire. You cna use a few 12v sources that run on the steering column. I run the ground to one of the ground under the dash...
Rick, sorry I must of confused ya. The tach power wire goes to the soleniod. Well it did, I didnt have enough wire to re-wire the tach today so im going to finish it up tomorrow. Is this causing problems me running the power wire from the soleniod? It worked fine for the years I ran it before. Always good to have a second opinion.

Dave