Trim fix/help

Makdaddymac

May 28, 2005
orlando
My car on both sides in almost the exact same place a 1inch long rust bubble in the trim???also i want to replace the rear qtr window trim if possible? but everyone just sells the whole window for big $$$
a pic(not my car)
gghggglz6.th.png

this is more up close again not my car, of where the trohble spot is
http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/inventory_images/large/2116_1.jpg
where would the rust be coming from?normal problem? any ideas on where to get this stuff for a decent price??

Attachments

• gghggglz6.th.png
    gghggglz6.th.png
    7 KB · Views: 58
  • Sponsors (?)

OK, I'll make a run at it.

Those pieces are called exterior dew wipes. I doubt those are rust bubbles because I believe the metal involved is an aluminum alloy or such. The metal is covered with a hard plastic or rubber. The plastic/rubber is probably seperating from the base metal. If it is actually rust, so be it. You can buy these parts from foxmustangrestoration.com or latemodelrestoration.com. Very easy to replace. 5 minutes each side.

The quarter window trim is not replaceable by itself. You have to replace the entire window assembly. The covers work, usually not the best looking alternative but some have made them work quite well. Most people sand, fill, prime and paint them if they're not too bad. Using trim black paint from SEM works really well.

Theres one phillips head screw located at the very rear edge of the piece. It goes up through the edge of the door into the trim piece. Remove that screw and slide the trim piece to the rear about an inch or so. You'll feel it come free. Be careful not to mess up the 4 or 5 little plastic buttons that the piece slides into on the door. Their pretty hard to find. Installation is simply a reverse procedure. I'd find someone to help hold the piece flat to the door as you slide it back onto the little buttons. It's very easy.