Trouble starting 71 Mach1

JJHstang

5 Year Member
Sep 12, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
Trouble starting My 71 mach1, 351 Windsor with Summit 4 bbl carb.
As I have mentioned in previous posts I don’t know to much about the engine other than what I have it had done to it.
The new carb, new value covers, new plugs and wires, new electrical connection to choke. New exhaust system, single exhaust too double. New vacuum advance.

Once I get it started and drive it the next day it starts right up. If it sits a week and I go to start it it is hard. I pump it once then half while turning the key. It turns over and over but doesn’t start. I then pump it a few times while turning the key. I think it is going to start but then stops. So I get frustrated and start pumping and pumping and it finally starts. Almost flooded and low battery.

Any suggestions on starting. I have looked at my choke before trying an it is shut.

• Sponsors (?)

If it's anything like my '84, the fuel evaporates out of the bowl during the week, and I have to pump the heck out of it to get it started the first time on the weekend.

I think the others are right about the fuel evaporating after a longer period of sitting, I crank the motor for 5 seconds, stop cranking, pump the gas twice, then crank again. your choke might be bad, but that still assumes there's enough fuel in your float bowl.