Truck for minor pulling, suggestions?

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i just sold my ram 1500 a few months back, i had no quad at the time and gas was terrible with 35's... like 11 mpg.

ive got 2 quads now, so ill need something capable of towing a small trailer and one bike in the bed. im not really brand biased, im looking for some suggestions here.

kinda looking at like rangers, s-10's, trucks along those size. id like to get decent mileage, as this MAY become a daily driver eventually. with that said, is it worth it to find a used, lower mile diesel? they do pretty well with mpg from what ive seen, right?

i know alot of you guys on here drive trucks, i liked my ram alot, but gas sucked. '

most important, if i keep my car. im looking for something under 20k. if i sell my car, its not alot higher, i want to keep my bills down for a house, so maybe 25kish.

• Sponsors (?)

You can get a new Ranger for WELL within your price range or a used one for even less yet. The newer ones get decent mileage and are quite comfortable to drive. Anything full-sized is going to suck gas and a diesel will be major overkill for what you're talking about towing.

the diesel truck (older body stye dodge ram) like 98-2001 should almost get 20 mpg.even better mpg with a programmer. you can ge the used for about the 17k to 23k range depending on miles. i wokd at the local dodge delear and they arnt that bad of trucks.

yea, that kinda puts me in a bind.

i want a cheap truck if i get one outside my car, but then its another insurance/gas payment. i figure i can upgrade my truck quality alot and ditch my honda, then its one insurance/gas payment.

so it would about even out. im going to do some shopping, but rangers dont seem that cheap on alot of these dealerships sites. i just wish my ****ing dodge didnt get such horrible mileage.

the diesel truck (older body stye dodge ram) like 98-2001 should almost get 20 mpg.even better mpg with a programmer. you can ge the used for about the 17k to 23k range depending on miles. i wokd at the local dodge delear and they arnt that bad of trucks.
another vote for a dodge diesel... but you knew I was gonna say that :D I'd get a 98 or older 12 valve... there more reliable and dont have injection pump and lift pump proplems that the 24 valves do, and you can make just as much power. gas mileage is gonna be better than a midsized gas truck, if you tow a trailer your gas mileage wont get cut in half like a gas powered truck, and they hold their resale value better :D

yea, that kinda puts me in a bind.

i want a cheap truck if i get one outside my car, but then its another insurance/gas payment. i figure i can upgrade my truck quality alot and ditch my honda, then its one insurance/gas payment.

so it would about even out. im going to do some shopping, but rangers dont seem that cheap on alot of these dealerships sites. i just wish my ****ing dodge didnt get such horrible mileage.
shoulda got a diesel... I get 16mpg towing a trailer with 2 quads and 38inch tall tires my best friend has the same truck I do only with 35's and gets 22mpg towing his 21ft travel trailer and 2 quads

Even with the 4.0 Liter V6 Ranger, it will stuggle like mad going over some of the valleys on the way to the Oregon dunes. I have a 4.3 Vortech in my Chevy, and I am very unhappy with its pulling performance. I drive the chit out of it to be honest hauling and pulling just a flat bed trailer (tandum axle) loaded with 2 bikes, gas, gear and cooler. It probably only weights 2K when fully loaded. Its going up for sale in another couple months in favor of a new Duramax with the Allison tranny. Then I will finally get a Toy Hauler that will also haul the Saleen:nice:

I love my 4.9L inline six F150. I used to haul my baja bug up and down the coast line, plus I have 187,000 miles on it and it runs like new. No leaks, tons of torque at start, plus a 5spd manual helps alot too. The guys in the Ford truck forums call them SUT, sport utility tractors.

Although, there isn't much of a match for a monster Dodge Diesel with the cummins Inline 6. Good luck with your purchase!

saleenster, you have an s-10 right?

im looking at an 03 s-10 ls, 4x4, automatic. its got low miles, decent price.

what are you getting for mileage? i read online 16 city, 22 hwy, is that on par or does it do even worse?

my problem is, all the **** i want is for sale private. im not going to be the annoying craigslist guy to ask if they want to trade me cars either.

wish i just had the cash to throw down :notnice:

I wish I had something more powerful than my 03 V6 FX4 Ranger for towing. I tow a 10' enclosed trailer, 1 YFZ450, tool chest, and gear. Ive had a couple bikes in the bed at the same time. It gets the job done. Mileage is down to 10mpg.

damn.. thats pretty bad. my cousin has an 04' with the 4.0, we get 11 mpg for all 400 miles round trip to sand lake. that is what i dont want.

so hard to find a truck that will get acceptable mileage for daily driving, yet be able to tow my **** around a few times a month.

rangers seem to be off the list, so maybe ill look into the s-10 with the 4.3 more if anyone reports back with mileage. otherwise, guess ill hold out for diesel :hail2:

damn.. thats pretty bad. my cousin has an 04' with the 4.0, we get 11 mpg for all 400 miles round trip to sand lake. that is what i dont want.

so hard to find a truck that will get acceptable mileage for daily driving, yet be able to tow my **** around a few times a month.

rangers seem to be off the list, so maybe ill look into the s-10 with the 4.3 more if anyone reports back with mileage. otherwise, guess ill hold out for diesel :hail2:
the s10 will probably be around the same, I had a coworker that had one and when it was running it got ****ty gas mileage just driving around town