Trunk Battery Power Distribution Panel

Tim65GT

Feb 24, 2004
West Texas
After installing the 3G Alt and Vintage Air AC the temp runs a little hot. My next goal is to put in a large aluminum radiator & electric fan(s). But before I move on with that...

I'm in the process of putting the battery in the trunk. I have this Summit Battery box already mounted on the pass side about 10" behind the wheelwell:

View attachment 460802

In front of it mounted just below the trunk lid hinge I'm putting this Battery power distribution panel:

DSC06282.jpg

I'm planning ahead with expansion in mind. The two relays could be used for a fuel pump and maybe a large amplifier with room to wire a third.

The large terminal block is from a early '90's GM truck. It fits the ANL fuses with a little modification with a dremel. Just below it is two pieces of 1/4" plastic I cut and drilled/dremeled to capture the other end of the fuses.

It's all mounted on a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate.

The space to the left is where I'm going to put the starter solenoid:

st81.jpg

I also have 4 ga wire to go to from the alternator to a 150A fuse (not shown 'cause it's on the car) and 6 gauge wire to go to the fuse/relay boxes (the two 100A fuses) One of the fuse boxes is under the dash and the other will be under the hood (when I get around to going EFI)

Question: (you where wondering if I had one) To keep the 2/0 gauge battery cable from crossing (and keeping a neat installation), can I mount the solenoid upside down? I'm pretty sure the spring inside would be stout enough to overcome any gravity. That's if the contact inside is pulled "up" in it's normal orientation. If it's pulled down it wouldn't be an issue. Any one ever taken one apart? :shrug:

I'm also going to run the main starter cable under the carpet along the door sill (it's only powered while cranking). I was going to put it under the car, but the 2/0 cable is heavy and flexible. Without subframe connectors, there is no place to secure it. And when I add them later, it would be in the way.

Any other suggestions or comments while I still have the panel on my work bench?, 'cause once it's mounted, changes are a LOT harder.

Thanks, Tim

• Sponsors (?)