Trusted and knowledgeable Mechanic

Zeal69

Oct 31, 2019
Mass
I have a 1986 Foxbody Mustang LX 5.0 (auto, 302) that needs some repairs, front main seal? rear seal? oil pan gasket? motor mount? both ball joints, rear gear changed, etc. So in saying that can anyone recommend an experienced and cost-effective mechanic in the Worcester/Auburn, Mass. area?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 1986 Foxbody Mustang LX 5.0 (auto, 302) that needs some repairs, front main seal? rear seal? oil pan gasket? motor mount? both ball joints, rear gear changed, etc. So in saying that can anyone recommend an experienced and cost-effective mechanic in the Worcester/Auburn, Mass. area?
If you bought a 1986 Foxbody Mustang LX 5.0 and aren't a fairly good shade tree mechanic or have a bank account the size of Bill Gates, you bought the wrong car.

All the Foxbody Mustangs are old cars and need the attention of a dedicated owner with some good mechanical skills. Along with that, there needs to be a desire to be in the midst of the Foxbody DIY craziness. Paying to have someone else to fix things will result in you spending big $$$ on it and making someone else rich. You will grow poorer, you girlfriend or wife will resent the car and ultimately resent you for spending time and money on it.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
All the Foxbody Mustangs are old cars and need the attention of a dedicated owner with some good mechanical skills. Along with that, there needs to be a desire to be in the midst of the Foxbody DIY craziness. Paying to have someone else to fix things will result in you spending big $$$ on it and making someone else rich. You will grow poorer, you girlfriend or wife will resent the car and ultimately resent you for spending time and money on it.
Thats whats its all about. A balanced life of car , budget , wife . Those repairs would probably cost $2500.00 , and the parts are only worth $130.00. Its all about the tools. Oh I didnt see rear gear $700.00......

If you bought a 1986 Foxbody Mustang LX 5.0 and aren't a fairly good shade tree mechanic or have a bank account the size of Bill Gates, you bought the wrong car.

thanks for the encouragement!

Reactions: 1 user
While a very involved process, a mechanically inclined individual good with details can handle the repairs that you outlined. The only thing you mentioned that requires a high skill set is the rearend gearing, which should usually be done by a pro due tonthe complexity and specialized tools. There are tons of writeups, videos, and forum support. The tools that you purchase for repairing your car will pay for themselves very quickly. Some tools can be rented.

I don't know any mechanics around the Worcester/Auburn MA area (my ex wife and her family is from Gloucester, that's my only connection to Massachusetts....), but my suggestion would be to find a small mom and pop shop if you can. They'll most likely be your best bet vs a larger shop that does a lot of work on newer vehicles.