Fox TRYING TO DECIDE ON HEADS FOR THE MERCURY!

Merc302

May 10, 2021
Calgary,AB
I got a bone stock 5.0 86 Capri RS and I'm trying to decide on heads. I'm looking to go on the second hand side, so like pick n pull. but I cant make up my mind on whether I want aluminum or stick with iron. I do want to lose weight in the front, but I also want the availability and cheapness that comes with the second hand GT40P heads.
Just want her lighter and faster for now until I can drop good money on the old girl.

• Sponsors (?)

With little to no potential power gains vs the expense and trouble to bother.

there is a minimum return on investment using stock heads. Good used alum heads should be about 300-500.00 depending on model, and they are the go to if you are planning this upgrade. and with that, there is usually a significant amount of collateral support spending you’ll need to make that sht work.
(push rods, rockers, gaskets).
If you can’t justify that much money, leave it alone until you can.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
While I agree with the aluminum head suggestion there is that thrill of the hunt and satisfaction of do'n the 'junk yard crawl' and piecing together a head/intake swap and I guarantee he will feel the 10/15 hp gain he gets even if it does fall on it's face @5200 rpms but that's ok because he wil be more confident when he finds that set of aluminium heads and then maybe swap a cam while he's at it, part of the 'fun'.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Mike, except i'm not so sure you are finding aluminum heads that often in the $300 to $500 range.
And since it's an 86, i'm guessing flat top pistons, therefore i'm thinking only twisted wedge heads should be purchased.

And to disagree with thief, i don't think if you paid me $250 to goto the junkyard and remove gt40 iron heads i would do it. I think a good junkyard find is something you actually want. I can find good deals all the time on stuff i don't want.

I agree with Mike, except i'm not so sure you are finding aluminum heads that often in the $300 to $500 range.
And since it's an 86, i'm guessing flat top pistons, therefore i'm thinking only twisted wedge heads should be purchased.

And to disagree with thief, i don't think if you paid me $250 to goto the junkyard and remove gt40 iron heads i would do it. I think a good junkyard find is something you actually want. I can find good deals all the time on stuff i don't want.
Well, you do things differently as you age, and junk yards have changed but to my point, being young and scrounging for cheap hp and other junk yard gold should be a right of passage.
That's how it all got started.