Fox TRYING TO DECIDE ON HEADS FOR THE MERCURY!

Merc302

May 10, 2021
Calgary,AB
I got a bone stock 5.0 86 Capri RS and I'm trying to decide on heads. I'm looking to go on the second hand side, so like pick n pull. but I cant make up my mind on whether I want aluminum or stick with iron. I do want to lose weight in the front, but I also want the availability and cheapness that comes with the second hand GT40P heads.
Just want her lighter and faster for now until I can drop good money on the old girl.

With little to no potential power gains vs the expense and trouble to bother.

there is a minimum return on investment using stock heads. Good used alum heads should be about 300-500.00 depending on model, and they are the go to if you are planning this upgrade. and with that, there is usually a significant amount of collateral support spending you’ll need to make that sht work.
(push rods, rockers, gaskets).
If you can’t justify that much money, leave it alone until you can.

Reactions: 2 users
While I agree with the aluminum head suggestion there is that thrill of the hunt and satisfaction of do'n the 'junk yard crawl' and piecing together a head/intake swap and I guarantee he will feel the 10/15 hp gain he gets even if it does fall on it's face @5200 rpms but that's ok because he wil be more confident when he finds that set of aluminium heads and then maybe swap a cam while he's at it, part of the 'fun'.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Mike, except i'm not so sure you are finding aluminum heads that often in the $300 to $500 range.
And since it's an 86, i'm guessing flat top pistons, therefore i'm thinking only twisted wedge heads should be purchased.

And to disagree with thief, i don't think if you paid me $250 to goto the junkyard and remove gt40 iron heads i would do it. I think a good junkyard find is something you actually want. I can find good deals all the time on stuff i don't want.

Well, you do things differently as you age, and junk yards have changed but to my point, being young and scrounging for cheap hp and other junk yard gold should be a right of passage.
That's how it all got started.