Trying to identify my 5.0s shock setup

Risky

Aug 8, 2011
Mount Holly, NJ
I have a 1990 5.0 LX Convertible. We had a 5.0 Mustang a few years back, and right before it was wrecked we purchased a suspension set. We have in our inventory 4 suspension components. The two front shocks, and two large rear shocks. What were trying to determine is what exactly the extra shock or strut is located at the rear end. It isn't the main shock, were pretty sure of that. It is another shock that comes off at a 40 degree angle away from the axle to the frame at the rear of the vehicle. Whats this component called? can someone link me to where I can purchase them individually? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of being one of the long line of people who find out that advise isn't always true, you can get new ones as Gabriel part number 14039. Listed as a "steering damper" in their catalog but they're actualy 100% dead nuts replacements for the factory quads.

If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of being one of the long line of people who find out that advise isn't always true, you can get new ones as Gabriel part number 14039. Listed as a "steering damper" in their catalog but they're actualy 100% dead nuts replacements for the factory quads.

Ford also still sells them as the 94-04 shocks will fit.

I am also one of those "I took off my quads because everyone said I could with LCA's and had to put them on to get rid of wheel hop" people. I have max motorsports arms...doesn't get much better than those. :shrug:

I'm no engineer or expert but I believe ford put em there for a reason. I am not entirely sure they would design a whole steering damper setup just because the control arm bushings were inferior, I feel like it would be a lot cheaper to just upgrade the bushings from the factory. I still have stock lower control arms but when I do upgrade I don't plan on getting rid of them. Only time I would get rid of them is if my tire wont fit.

I'm no engineer or expert but I believe ford put em there for a reason. I am not entirely sure they would design a whole steering damper setup just because the control arm bushings were inferior, I feel like it would be a lot cheaper to just upgrade the bushings from the factory. I still have stock lower control arms but when I do upgrade I don't plan on getting rid of them. Only time I would get rid of them is if my tire wont fit.

And sometimes you can reverse mount them and still run some meats. It worked for me !

I replaced upper and lower control arms and ditched the quads. I havent noticed any wheel hop yet but I am running 315s out back. The new control arms were a DEFINITE improvement. Hell, I am sure just putting in new bushings would have been a huge improvement.
If I go back to a smaller wheel/tire I will run them if they fit.