Tubular GT40 owners-need some 411???

monte87

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2001
new york
Hey Guys-

Anyone who has a real GT40 tubular intake manifold upper, What is the exterior surface material- Painted silver or powdercoated silver? Im gonna need to sand one down real soon, Just wanted a heads up on what it is.....

many Thanks Anthony:nice::flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Guys-

Anyone who has a real GT40 tubular intake manifold upper, What is the exterior surface material- Painted silver or powdercoated silver? Im gonna need to sand one down real soon, Just wanted a heads up on what it is.....

many Thanks Anthony:nice::flag:

Its aluminum. you don't want to us sand paper you will scratch it use some sandind disc that have the pads it will leave it almost polished looking then you can paint it you wont see any scratches heres a picture of the one I had on mine before my systemax...... hope this helps.....

PC160347-2.jpg

Hey santanas,

Thanks man. What grit sanded disc's did you use? i was thinking starting with 320 grit, But im just not sure-If its painted or powdercoated??? If its painted, Its gonna be easy, If that ****** is P/C-Im goinna be working.... I have to get it sanded, before i can chrome powdercoat it.... So what is it painted or powdercoarted?

Thanks Bud, Anthony

Hey santanas,

Thanks man. What grit sanded disc's did you use? i was thinking starting with 320 grit, But im just not sure-If its painted or powdercoated??? If its painted, Its gonna be easy, If that ****** is P/C-Im goinna be working.... I have to get it sanded, before i can chrome powdercoat it.... So what is it painted or powdercoarted?

Thanks Bud, Anthony

Your saying If mine is powdercoated or painted? Mine is all natural polished. No paint or powdercoated its all polished out. You dont us any grit disc they usually come in fine,medium and cooarse.Here are some pictures that im talking about,
View attachment 313423
View attachment 313424 ...if its powder coated you might us some of the sanding disc with grit on it i would get the highest grit posible so you won't leave scratches..but it will be hard to get betten the runners
hope it helps if you need help let me know.

Thanks 4G & Santana's,

Santana's-Let me ask you, My question to you is-before yours was polished, what came off when you used the disc's- Powdercoating or painted???
I have sanded & polished intakes before and powdercoating is a PITA to come off, even with aircraft stripper, and 80 grits to 400 grit, its long and tedious, not fun. You gotta work the sanding process.
when you removed the paint or P/C-Didit come off real easy or was it long? if it was paint-It wouldve been quickj and fast, If it was p/c-You were there for some time. I just bought a GT40 on ebay, and im waiting for delivery, I was curious about what exterior finish it came from Ford with.
Hit me ack guys, Thanks Anthony

I think it is an early form of powder coating, but it is fairly thin for a powder coat. Mine is finally started to come off after what... 17 years so at the least it is some good stuff for the time considering how hot it gets.

I have removed the rest of the finish on mine and I suggest oven cleaner, but use it outside. Let the part bake in the sun a little before and also after you have sprayed it. Then try taking it off with just a rag, or a fine Scotch pad. At least that has been the best method I have found, as I am going to polish it when finished. You may have to repeat the process a couple of times.

But please use the cleaner outside, that stuff is too toxic to use that much in an enclosed space. Clean up with water and some Simple Green, then wax and grease remover.

Hey Backfocus-
Thanks for the 411. Wouldnt 400 grit wetsand be just as good as a scotch pad? I would think it would be easier as well, no dust too. I wish i had this damn intake infront of me already, I can test & tune methods, ya know.
Funny thing you mention oven cleaner in an outdoor space, My last intake-I would use oven cleaner in my kitchen sink and wash it off-Low and behold that crap ate my sink plastic pipes and i had a major floor. Duhhhhhhhhh! hahahah So-Yes-I most certainly agree with you about being outside. :)

Hit me back with scotch brite pad vs. 400 grit wetsand...
Many Thanks Anthony

Anthony, you could use the 400 wetsand method, but I prefer the fine to ultra fine Scotch Pads. I was refering to using it to help remove the finish with the cleaner still on it, if it won't come off with a rag easily.

Even a medium pad would work, I would use what you like the best, I just prefer the pads, seem to not clog up as easily and they work with water just as well. My mainly goal was to use the finest I could so I could minimize scratches as I planned to polish it. Later I used the step up wetsand up to 800 then polished.

hey man-

Where can you buy them disc's and holder and all? What are they small discs that slap onto the holder and onto a drill? Hit me back-when you get a chnace!

Many Thanks Anthony

Its aluminum. you don't want to us sand paper you will scratch it use some sandind disc that have the pads it will leave it almost polished looking then you can paint it you wont see any scratches heres a picture of the one I had on mine before my systemax...... hope this helps.....

PC160347-2.jpg

hey man-

Where can you buy them disc's and holder and all? What are they small discs that slap onto the holder and onto a drill? Hit me back-when you get a chnace!

Many Thanks Anthony

You can buy them at hardware store or auto store I think I even seen it at wal-mart,in the paint section, it comes in different sizes. You can put them on a drill or on a grinder. I bought a dremel tool to fit the tight spaces.those disc you can buy as a pack or single..Theres are coarse, medium,fine.

Thanks bud....

I went to 3 ACE hardwares in NYC and no dice.... Soometiems-I wonder, Im in the biggest city in the world and the stores in midtwon manhattan has S-H-I-T!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll try autozone or pep boys, or even Wally-MarT! I'll probably have better luck.

Thanks for your help-Ant

Thanks bud....

I went to 3 ACE hardwares in NYC and no dice.... Soometiems-I wonder, Im in the biggest city in the world and the stores in midtwon manhattan has S-H-I-T!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll try autozone or pep boys, or even Wally-MarT! I'll probably have better luck.

Thanks for your help-Ant

Yeah its funny that when I was looking for them I couldn't find them Now that I don't really use them or need them I see them everywhere.:DI got a whole bunch at ACE hardware they even sell them seperately.

It os a early form of powercoat. I am looking at my New Old Stock one right know. Yes i said brand new. I am getting ready to do H/C/I on my notch and found a new one. It even has the cover to. Still in the plastic and in the box.