Tubular Rear Control Arm Question

I just installed a 8.8 in my 85 GT and it came with upper and lower tubular control arms. I know they stiffen things up but my car no longer has suspension movement. It's very rough riding...I have the same springs that were on my stock 7.5 and stock arms and it rode fine then. Any ideas on where to start looking for my issue? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I just installed a 8.8 in my 85 GT and it came with upper and lower tubular control arms. I know they stiffen things up but my car no longer has suspension movement. It's very rough riding...I have the same springs that were on my stock 7.5 and stock arms and it rode fine then. Any ideas on where to start looking for my issue? Thanks in advance.

It no longer has ANY movement? ... or it's just tighter? Do the new control arms have steel spherical rod ends, or poly bushings? Switching over to either is going to make a world of difference from worn out 1985 rubber bushings, so some major stiffening is to be expected. If you have literally zero suspension movement, we need to regroup and reassess bud.

They are poly bushings...much much much tighter...when my car is sitting on the ground I can not compress the suspension by putting my weight (180lbs) on the rear.

Ok. On the inside of those poly bushings should be a steel insert that looke like a piece of tubing or pipe for the bolt to pass thru. It's purpose is to keep the mount from crushing and binding the control arm where it can't swing. Did you leave those out, or not get them with your parts? Very important pieces here.

Ok I will drive it a while and see what happens. These were in a car for approx 500 miles so I guess it could be they need to "break in". Thanks for the info

Don't hold me to them "breaking in"... but logic would say they would loosen up a little. There are countless posts here about the amazing difference poly bushing make for chassis stiffening, so there's that. My experience isn't as drastic as yours, but again, I'm no featherweight, lol. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Don't hold me to them "breaking in"... but logic would say they would loosen up a little. There are countless posts here about the amazing difference poly bushing make for chassis stiffening, so there's that. My experience isn't as drastic as yours, but again, I'm no featherweight, lol. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Thanks for the info...I'll drive it a while and see what happens...I could be just paranoid haha

The poly will be considerably tighter than worn out stock stuff w/25 yr old+ rubber bushings. That being said I would recommend double checking the torque on the bolts and alignment of everything. The car should still move as the spring rate dictates more movement than anything (apples to apples of course).