tubuler k-member vs. stock lightweight?

va_kid

Aug 30, 2005
Wytheville, VA
Alright guys i've been told this and i've been told that, now i'm asking the ones that know. Are the tubuler k-members as strong as the stock ones, and how much wieght will it take off the front of my car? I'm buliding this car for strickly drag racing and I need to know if the tubuler k-members will stand up under the constant pounding of wheels up launches? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends on what brand you get. The Qa1 would be lighter then MM but not as strong. The MM would be stronger than stock, but you won't have the weight advantage of the Qa1. This is only 2 brands I'm refering too, but I'd buy MM reguardless of the weight savings the Qa1 has to offer just for the extra insurance of durability. There's a post that compares pics between the two and you'll see why I picked these two brand for comparison.

Fred

MM, Kenny Brown, Griggs are the strong ones, but there isn't a ton of wieght to be saved with them.

Most of the others, are weaker and lighter. I think you can save around 70lbs with some of the lighter kits.
Someone here that actually wieghed the car before and after should know.

If you dial your suspension in right, you dont have to worry about wheelies unless you just want to do them. My shops car runs sub 8.90's and has the UPR k member/coilover kit. The car just hooks up and goes, the nose just barely eases up off the ground.
I put the same UPR kit (K member/coilovers/a arm) on my 5.0 and love it. Havent done much to the rest of the car yet, but Im taking it a piece at a time.
I have heard good things about the QA1's and MM's. The UPR kit is only about 50 bucks less than the QA1. Both kits weigh about the same. Supposedly I shaved around 70lbs off the front of the car.