Engine Tune-up Feedback: Is It Ready For A Drive?

91BlckGT

Founding Member
May 24, 1999
in a van, down by the river
After an hour of steady state running, I think I've finished burping the radiator successfully .No leaks that I can see under the car, but I'd like this forums collective feedback on these photos/videos to make sure everything is tip-top. I have a new TFI module on order, but the car hasn't stalled once, and I'm getting the nerve up for an inaugural run (just finished a H/C/I swap).

Temperature at Idle
ydGxnXj6on1xS12cV0pRsE5eib8Abzj6eoGDufjSGdEBnDtCnnKUWToAlgDX97blWNBm6q-HTFuKGuGbRs=w1689-h950-no.jpg

Oil Pressure at Idle:

5M6dYF5m-6t7jyf9CAdLExNmcUl9-phhAjkWD-8-wbbP2VPDfs8yrUHnsQMgVAmZM_QhgCij3MYTBESoVC=w1689-h950-no.jpg

Vacuum at Idle:
Nw8_tThFLghUgxSfIDnyliaJ2p026ifkWlC6p5Mwm6xOx7CeeiQ5Ku8leegpTO9Kyde29M5-n1Wyu4YzPn=w1689-h950-no.jpg

Vacuum is interesting. It's steady at 13 Hg. It seems lower than the target 17-20 Hg.

Vacuum at WOT test (video)
https://goo.gl/photos/6MFpnDNUE1XwAFdD9

Here I rev it a few times, and it pops up to 0, then back to 20Hg. That looks normal to me. Thoughts?

Water in Tailpipes?
I haven't done my compression test, it's on my to-do list. I thought for sure I had blown a head-gasket through my misadventures installing the distributor properly, coupled with the loud "bang" and burning smell. There wasn't much white smoke from the tail-pipe, but a little bit at the beginning.

First 10 minutes: https://goo.gl/photos/MdSkH7C2iincLx5z7
After an hour: https://goo.gl/photos/VqUN9EwBJ4h9M4586

I'm concerned by the amount of water vapor coming out of the left tailpipe compared to the right. A compression test is still scheduled, but I *really* want to drive the car to experience it.

Rev Test

I've tested revving it to 1500,2000,3000, 4000, and 5000 RPM. Each time it did great, no stutter or mis-fire.

Fuel Pressure
No pic, but it's set to 43 Psi. Never fluctuated more than 1PSI when I did the 1 hour idle test.

Timing:
Timing is currently set to 14 BDTC. I run premium fuel.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Well, I took it around the block a few times, just wanted to get a feel for what it would be putting down now. it felt pretty good, pulled hard in the upper RPM unlike where it used to fall off. Broke the tires loose a couple of times, but then it is 55 degrees outside and my drag radials are cold. Sounds great at least.

One thin I observed is that was more prone to stalling with the lights on then off. I have a 4ga wire pulled for the alternator, but haven't completed wiring it up yet as I was waiting for to get things working smooth before I messed with electrical wiring. I do have underdrive pullies, maybe that's part of it.

The vapor seemed to disappear after the car warmed up. It does have cats in the Bassani x-pipe. Now the garage reeks of burnt oil. Hadn't noticed it during the idle marathon. I need to figure out how long to keep the break-in oil in the car. The instructions state around ~500 miles, but since I only put 100 miles a year on it, not sure that will work.

You need to do better than that, come on take it for a nice long ride, I can donate some time if need, you spring for the gas and I'll put in the seat time.
Just my opinion.
BTW, I think the cats will produce some moisture, and I had a motor rebuilt years ago that had just a wiff of burnt oil first coupl times I sarted it up.

Reactions: 1 user
Water vapor is a byproduct of combustion, so it will always be present. You really need to go for a nice long drive to get that exhaust hot enough to heat up and evaporate all the moisture inside. Short drives never really seems to do this and as a result the moisture stays in the exhaust and begins to rust it from the inside.

That's why I typically say that in the wintertime, unless you can get that engine/exhaust nice and toasty, it's better to not start the car at all.

Reactions: 1 users