Tune up on all Original Car

jpdegan

Jan 23, 2022
If my car is almost 100% original with the exception of 1 tire and a battery, can I replace any components during a general tune up such as plug wires, distributor cap, plugs ect without taking away from the originality of the car? Would anything in particular be frowned upon as a basically original car?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Since you are in the Fox/sn95 section, that means your tires are at least 26 years old. They need replaced before the car goes anywhere but on and off a trailer.
Are you asking for a Concours class entry? Those type of cars will have very specific rules. The dates on the wires and even alternator diodes can count.
Now, for the general public, Motorcraft maintenance parts are acceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Change the tune up parts but be careful to save the originals. Tires go bad internally with age. Extreme care is needed to store them properly. Wouldn't be a bad idea to change the tires.

Reactions: 1 users
Here's a few. 41k miles garage kept but enjoyed

Attachments

• 20220124_060136.jpg
    20220124_060136.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210916_104641.jpg
    20210916_104641.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210927_185204.jpg
    20210927_185204.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users
If it was me, I’d search eBay for older Motorcraft/Ford replacement parts. Newer Motorcraft stuff is ok, but not the same as old stock as Ford has changed vendors a few times as Windsor 302s have kinda phased out from mainstream production

The aftermarket parts used these days are cheap and a much limited selection, but if you search around you can find plenty of NOS parts to use.

Also, I’d find a clean set of turbines and get modern tires. If 3 tires are original they would be very dangerous to drive on due to age.

Blue on blue on gray. That thing is one of the best looking mustangs I've seen.

Reactions: 1 users
WTF.....Cool car, and you are not kidding
Thanks. This is the color combo that made me fall in love with these cars.
Blue on blue on gray. That thing is one of the best looking mustangs I've seen.
Yea, I like it. My wife got me a Marti Report for Christmas and it says its 1 of 7 made with the regatta blue/ titanium with grey leather, blue vert top

• Surprised
Reactions: 3 users