tuning q's

bakes5_0

Founding Member
Feb 11, 2002
adrian,mi
well i have just a couple q's im installing nx wet kit on my 99 cobra....and one step colder plugs ...now what im confused about is everyone is tellim me to get a good chip and tune ...well i plan on gettin my car tuned at pauls high performance but why do i need a new chip isnt that the point of gettin the car tuned for them to burn the chip i currently have with the correct information & such???
maybe a dumb q's just curious

and my 2nd q's is im gonna get bassani full exhaust system my q's is i was gonna get a o/r x pipe but if i gotta spend 90 dollars for the mil elimanator & extensions im just gonna get x w/ cats....so can they get that light to go off when they tune my car????

• Sponsors (?)

bakes5_0 said:
well i have just a couple q's im installing nx wet kit on my 99 cobra....and one step colder plugs ...now what im confused about is everyone is tellim me to get a good chip and tune ...well i plan on gettin my car tuned at pauls high performance but why do i need a new chip isnt that the point of gettin the car tuned for them to burn the chip i currently have with the correct information & such???
maybe a dumb q's just curious

and my 2nd q's is im gonna get bassani full exhaust system my q's is i was gonna get a o/r x pipe but if i gotta spend 90 dollars for the mil elimanator & extensions im just gonna get x w/ cats....so can they get that light to go off when they tune my car????

If you have an after market chip already (diablo sport, autologic, etc.) then you can probably keep that one and just have the shop burn that chip if they are capable (software). What kinda of chip do you have? I'm not sure if you know but there is no stock chip. Bassani full exhaust will be expensive but nice, I've seen somebody turn off the rear o2's with a chip and if its possible with your setup then you will not need to buy mil elim.

97rioreddohc said:
If you have an after market chip already (diablo sport, autologic, etc.) then you can probably keep that one and just have the shop burn that chip if they are capable (software). What kinda of chip do you have? I'm not sure if you know but there is no stock chip. Bassani full exhaust will be expensive but nice, I've seen somebody turn off the rear o2's with a chip and if its possible with your setup then you will not need to buy mil elim.

no i dont have a chip currently i think the way i said that was misleading i was just curious wether buying a new chip would give much greater results when gettin the my car tuned vrs just having the stock computer recalibrated...if that makes sense....

ya i am way excited about gettin bassani exhaust i hope not to be dissapointed ....cause rit now i just have weld in flows and i like that sound but im ready for somethin tuff....

mark

bakes5_0 said:
no i dont have a chip currently i think the way i said that was misleading i was just curious wether buying a new chip would give much greater results when gettin the my car tuned vrs just having the stock computer recalibrated...if that makes sense....

ya i am way excited about gettin bassani exhaust i hope not to be dissapointed ....cause rit now i just have weld in flows and i like that sound but im ready for somethin tuff....

mark

Yes, tuning your car with a chip will benefit you greatly since your going to add the NX kit, you can see gains of 20-30hp and more with the addition of a chip on supercharged/nitrous applications, with the chip your air/fuel and timing can be adjusted for your setup (very important). Bottom line I would definately get the chip.

If you can go Bassani all the way man then go for it, I bet it'll sound wicked...I really wanted those mid-length headers

Tuners use a chip to reprogram the car...they don't reflash the computer...at least 99% of them use a chip anyhow.

They will tune the timing and a/f ratio when the nitrous is on as said before....this will prevent the motor from detonating and blowing up. If you are installing a dry kit (spraying before the MAF), supposedly, the computer can compensate by adding more fuel. I don't know how effective this is when you start going over a 75 shot.

Get the tune and chip.

99SVTAddict said:
Tuners use a chip to reprogram the car...they don't reflash the computer...at least 99% of them use a chip anyhow.

They will tune the timing and a/f ratio when the nitrous is on as said before....this will prevent the motor from detonating and blowing up. If you are installing a dry kit (spraying before the MAF), supposedly, the computer can compensate by adding more fuel. I don't know how effective this is when you start going over a 75 shot.

Get the tune and chip.

what chip should i go with i dont wanna skimp out on anything but i just found out a can get a great deal on a house so the dollars are gonna start being a lil shorter for now on....

and i live in adrian mi...still loooking for the best tuner who is also very familar with the modular motors ??? so if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.... i talked to pauls high performance outta of jackson and they seemed to only wanna work on my car if i bought there products and they were a lil high so ... iam still looking around