Turbo... 302 or 351

thebullschmidt

Dec 12, 2008
hey people im workin on building up and 89 turbo fox ive pretty much decided to go with the hellion single turbo system. i want to build a block that will be able to handle the abuse and then once i get everything together put it in the car. having a hard time chosing the block some one mentioned a svo a4 block but i have a 351w block at my disposal would it be better to use the 351. money is definitaly a factor unfortunatly. another question what cam would b best? n depending on what block i end up using will decide what intake ill use if i use the 302 id like to use the lower bbk ssi i already have and just swap the upper to the "box" intake. if i go with the 351 ill probably go trickflow r series. thanks for any help or info...

• Sponsors (?)

I'd do a 347 built from a boss block.
The A4 has been out of rotation for quite a while. I'd certainly take one if i got a good deal on it, but i haven't seen one in a long time.

If you are using a turbo, there is no reason to add the extra weight of a 351.

phutch i was wondering the same thing i emailed the tech guys at hellion n never got a response i imagine with the taller deck height something wouldnt line up right. im ok with stuff being pricey just means ill have to save longer. i like the boss 302 block not feeling the 347 tho id like to keep it stock displacement or no more than a 331. i guess its just a personal thing. id like to go with a boss 302 block with an eagle rotating assembly, but god knows it will take me a while to save up for all that. o and one more thing in buying a rotating assembly what do i need external balance or internal balance? and do i need the 28 oz imbalance? this will b the first engine ive completely built from scratch so to speak so any tips would be helpful thanks

Will the Helion system work with a 351 in a fox? It seems like the piping would be different.

Good luck...

Tell Hellion you need a turbo kit for a 351 block in a fox...not a huge deal. They'll probably advise you to go up to a larger turbo like a 76mm or similar. I'm planning a similar build myself. However, first you say unfortunately you are on a budget, then you say you're ok with stuff being pricey? What are your plans for the car? You might get more advice if you mentioned your goals. I'm sorry, but if you have a 351 block available...it's a no-brainer IMO. Build the 351 and make nasty power

Id recommend working with a knowledgable builder so you dont waste money...

Right now you need a plan, which can easily sorted through if you know the budget. The stock 351 block is not much stronger then the 302 and the increased bearing area and crappy oiling isnt better either.

A 3.25 stroke comvo with the right parts and a 76mm can make 900hp+....and be streetable, I just finished one.

Id recommend working with a knowledgable builder so you dont waste money...

Right now you need a plan, which can easily sorted through if you know the budget. The stock 351 block is not much stronger then the 302 and the increased bearing area and crappy oiling isnt better either.

A 3.25 stroke comvo with the right parts and a 76mm can make 900hp+....and be streetable, I just finished one.

the voice of reason. :nice: not to mention a turbo kit on a 8.2 isnt the easiest thing in the world to work on, still easier than a 4th gen camaro, but not like working on a stock car. a windsor would give even less room under hood to work with. i know that i wouldnt exactly find that to be a pleasant experience.

ok what i meant by money is an issue i mean i dont have much of it but i dont wanna build this thing in a hurry. so im ok with it taking me a while to save up for what ever it happens to be. im lookin for a good 600 horse fox but i also dont want to have to worry about the block giving out. so id rather go high dollar on the bottom end. another reason i dont want to build a 347 rather keep it simple. what i have in mind for this motor is the boss 302 block, eagle rotating assembly with windage tray, afr 205 series heads, bbk ssi box intake, and the hellion single turbo heat kit. with supporting fuel and drivetrain mods of course. im not so much concerned with a lot of hp as i am about longevity of the motor.