Turbo Project Complete. Humps And Bumps

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a good deal. Can't be mad at a 4k pay day. Glad you found another decent ride before depression set in.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's see if I can't finish this,

So I ordered a plastic intake manifold at the start of this. It was taking forever to show up so I went to the junk yard for a temporary set up. Actually I did some home improvement work in my brothers house sent him to the junk yard, and actually got paid to get an intake manifold. He needed my services, and I didn't have time because race car. I rambled a bit on that because I think bartering/frugal spending is a key part in budget projects like this. Anything you can do to save time or money when appropriate.

Next was down pipe and oxygen sensors.
I figured, to the point was good enough for me. A 3.5" elbow cut down, welded to a band clamp, a hole in the hood, and a bung for a wide band would do the trick. As for the eec's oxygen sensors they are pre turbo in the cross over pipe and passenger header because the eBay kit already had them. I have not had trouble yet but now know the oxygen sensors should not be pre Turbo. So some day I will change my tune to a single oxygen sensor, and plug the holes. Until then, they appear to be working as they should.

So first start up day came!
With the un known maf, and more then double the fuel injector I knew what was coming. But, all though stupid Rich (to the point of looking like a tuned diesel) It immediately fired up. I felt like a teenage girl backstage at a Justin Bieber concert!

Now comes a low point in my life.
I was set on mechanically limiting air flow to the maf to control air:fuel, and got a msd btm to control timing. Was certain I could do analog tuning without a device. Yes the internet ill advised it in every corner I read but, computers are intimidating, and it's just an old sbf... I mean you can tune one up with jets, mixture screws, and tinkering with a vacuum advance.... how hard could it be with a computer helping you? To make a long story short the 1/4 horse chip was ordered, tuner pro installed, and I was at Google/YouTube school while waiting for the shipment.

Tuning the car:
After knowing enough Essentials, I started tuning. I can not put in to text how frustrating and difficult this is with extremely limited computer skills, and no info on your maf sensor. Sorry side track; my maf set up is and 06 mustang blade maf in a 64mm tube, with a pice of plastic glued to it to increase its range. (Pmas otw now)

I started the maf curve way to scientifically attempting to quantify the tube size and air blockage in a easily transferable fashion.(ie:1/2 size = 1/2 air) What I found out is air works in crazy ways. Mostly speaking to the maf blocker.

My tuning brakethrough came when I decreased the transfer points on the maf curve and just started guessing and login the results with adaptive turned off. Also having better ambient temperature than 5° help to.

The tuning part is ongoing and I guess that will never really end. The details of the tuning would get extremely extremely extremely long-winded. For now the car drives as it should and I actually used my snow covered drive way as a dyno to get some different load points/rpm. The speed of tuning after using this method was greatly improved. Of course just driving the car would have been ideal but, I'm not driving a rust free 95 on salt covered roads.

I'll add pics now individually with a little bit of text.

Thanks for reading,
Hey i know this thread is a little old but im doing a full engine swap from an sn95 that has a turbo kit already on it that i know nothing about the engine itself except it had aluminum heads and arp studs. But i was wondering if you used a map sensor or maf sensor? I cant figure out where to get a map sensor

Hey i know this thread is a little old but im doing a full engine swap from an sn95 that has a turbo kit already on it that i know nothing about the engine itself except it had aluminum heads and arp studs. But i was wondering if you used a map sensor or maf sensor? I cant figure out where to get a map sensor

Start your own thread in the SN95 Talk section.

Long time since I been on this place!

As it turns out the guy who bought this car sold off the motor and it's now in drift that shi%#'s posession lol!

we have been in contact. For what it's worth general kart theif seams very knowledgeable in speed density.

Update on my end:

I got a stick 5.0 fox body now. The coowner and I put it together over last winter.

I will start a thred for that car but it's a 1/4 mile only car on 28x9's bolt on 5.0 t5 and 4:10's lots of weight reduction, typical safty stuff for 11.50 and that's about it for now. Car goes 11.4 117 every pass and I'm very happy with it for now....lol