Turbo sugguestions 408 stroker

b93notch

Sep 10, 2010
Hello all, I am new to this forum and have had some friends tell me about the great help they have gotten. Now I am here for a little help myself. Im on my way to building my 408 stroker for my 1993 notch. My goals for the car is to keep it streetable with a mild track use. im going with a shortblock from cncmotorsports.com (Dart block) with a -28cc dish on the pistons . And going with a set of AFR 225s witha 72cc chamber and it wil put the compression ratio at 8.8 to 1. And of course im going with gapless rings and head studs etc. And from what ive read i think im going to go with the trickflow box upper and lower intake or possible a custom hogan intake if i ever decide to fork up the money for it haha. But what I was wondering is what kind of turbo i should go with. Id love to throw a 101mm on there. But some would say thats a little overkill for a 408. Any help would be great or if you have any concerns about my build i would like to hear them aswell. Thanks ! :D

• Sponsors (?)

If you want big boost pressure, but dont like the lag of a big turbo... run twins in a series. The out port of turbo one gets fed into the intake side of turbo two, instead if them both going to the intercooler. Its called compounding turbos. Most people do it with a turbo/supercharger, but I want to run dual turbos compounded. wikipedia has a good page on it.

If you want big boost pressure, but dont like the lag of a big turbo... run twins in a series. The out port of turbo one gets fed into the intake side of turbo two, instead if them both going to the intercooler. Its called compounding turbos. Most people do it with a turbo/supercharger, but I want to run dual turbos compounded. wikipedia has a good page on it.

Is your suggestion seriously compound boost? That would be a major project with serious fabrication. The idea in itself is cool, and has been around for literally decades, but it's hardly practical on a street car, IMO. The entire kit would have to be fabbed up from scratch. There's nothing wrong with that, but the OP's fabrication skills have not been brought to light yet.

It's also a myth that twins always make more power than a properly sized single. A lot of people run twins simply for the ability to say "twin turbo."

Okay, how does a link to a website that sells turbo kits help this guy choose what size turbo is best for his application? Stangnet has clearly demonstrated historically that 99% of its members know nothing about turbocharging. Please visit turbomustangs.com for real answers. Be sure to post pics of your ride and use punctuation in your writing so they don't tear you apart for being a "noob."

My suggestion is to piece together a kit and save a few thousand dollars. Buy a set of headers with a T4 flange and whatever size wastegate you plan on runnning from ponydown performance and specify that you want the crossover to be used for a 351W based application. Then, buy an ebay intercooler piping kit and front mount intercooler on the cheap. Buy a BOV and wastegate after you have your turbo picked out. Buy a Hallman manual boost controller and have the car tuned by whomever you want.

the link was to show him about the turbo size and hp they can make. guess i should have been more clear on the link not to buy parts from them. i was doing a bbf with a 101mm and everything was big. it had a 5 inch exhaust off the turbo and i was in the middle of doing a y 3.5 pipe from the motor to the t6 flange on the turbo. the a/r was like .96 and i dont remember what it was on the cold side. most of the big turbos have a high A/R so u are going to have to turn that motor high. so u are going to have to have good parts. on my bbf i had over 2600 in the crank,over 2000.00 in the block, i had about 2,000 in rods, i had around 1500.00 in the oil pump and pan. u can piece together a kit alot cheaper than buying a kit on line just do it right. ebay is not the best place to get parts for a high hp turbo system.

bigturbo.jpg

I appreciate the replies. And I like the idea of the compound turbos. Unfortanately im not wanting to go that far into a project haha. Ive already got the pony down stage 2 kit. I had it previous project. I need to contact them and hope they will just send me a cross over due to the difference. And i'll be running the e-boost controller. I will have to take a look at that site and see what people are saying on there.

large frame 88mm or a 91 will make a 8 second car in a hurry on that motor, the 101s overkill

I agree either one of those will be more then enough to suit your needs, the T6 flange will be a must IMO.

Persoanlly the pipes are a little small on the Pony Down kit for a motor of that size. It will be hard to route a 4"+ downpipe back under the car to put a muffler on it to quiet it down.

The only "modification" you would need to do is make a new outlet tube on one of the turbos, and get a single inlet intercooler. You make it sound like you need ten years of metal fabrication skills to make it work...

The only "modification" you would need to do is make a new outlet tube on one of the turbos, and get a single inlet intercooler. You make it sound like you need ten years of metal fabrication skills to make it work...

The fact that you're calling the two turbines of the turbocharger itself the "intake" and "outlet" shows that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Why don't you do it if it's so easy? Oh, that's right. It's because you only wrench on cars on the internet.

or maybe its cause i have three kids?? ya, those arent expensive! lol. And since when do turbos not have an 'in' side and and 'out' side?? did they start making them differently? Maybe you want to hear high and low pressure side? We are so glad you forgot to back your claim that "serious modification" is required. Or did you realize you didnt know what you were talking about?

Haha, what a coincidence. :D

Oh, and what does that even mean, "single inlet intercooler?" Do you even know what an intercooler is or the function it performs?

or maybe its cause i have three kids?? ya, those arent expensive! lol. And since when do turbos not have an 'in' side and and 'out' side?? did they start making them differently? Maybe you want to hear high and low pressure side? We are so glad you forgot to back your claim that "serious modification" is required. Or did you realize you didnt know what you were talking about?

They have a compressor side and an exhaust side. Both could be construed as in or out...

There is no "in" or "out" dude. The two housings on the turbo are completely separate. Did you think that exhaust from the headers blows directly into the intake manifold? Maybe this simple illustration will help you visualize how it works...

TurbochargerFlow.jpg