Turn Signal flasher relay--location

Wingnut100

Feb 28, 2007
My turn signals went out. The hazard light operate properly.

The fuses and bulbs have been checked and are ok.

Does anyone know where the relay is located on a '99 Mustang?

Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Check multi-function sw & fuses

There are no mechanical blinker/flashers on a late model Mustangs. It's handled in a solid state electronic flasher module similar to the generic electronics module (GEM). Because it is solid state it rarely fails. However, the fact that the hazards flash at all suggest the module is working at some level.

The manual lists the Electronic flasher module as "behind the dash panel".

DOUBLE check fuse F2.18 AND F2.13 in the Central Junction Box (CJB). Don't just look at it them. Pull and check with a VOM. Next check the ground near the center console. The ground is shared by many devices including the radio. Sometimes during a radio install, this ground is not re-connected as it should be.

1999-2004 MY fuse panel schedule:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...r-swap-wont-fire-please-help.html#post2669271

If the fuses are good, most likely your problem is in the multi-function switch (specifically in the hazard switch itself). The multi-function switch is located on the steering column. The switch can be rebuilt. If you want to rebuild, pay attention to the location of all springs and such (may help to take pictures). The inside is filled with di-electric grease. Clean the old grease. Lightly sand the contacts. Carefully bend to make good contact. Replace the di-electric grease (OK to use the same kind of silcone used for spark plugs). Re-assemble and test.

An option is to get another multi-function switch from a salvage yard. The Crown Vic/Grand Marquis from the same year are interchangable (actual interchange is wider but the stalks will appear different). Rebuild the replacement. Then if something bad happens, you are not risking your DD. Also, once rebuilt, it will reduce the time your DD is actually down.

The original can then be rebuilt as a spare.

If OK, have a beer because you just saved a bunch of $$.:banana:

Last edited:
Got it fixed

I ended up replacing the Electronic Flasher Module (EFM) and it works fine now. I have attached photos of the EFM and its' location. It is located underneath the instrument panel at the left rear side of the radio. ElecFlasherMod.jpg

ElecFlasherMod2.jpg

The original EFM was yellow and the replacement is blue.

So it is possible for the EFM to still operate the flashers without the trun signals functioning.

I did find it easier to replace by removing the front panel and metal brace to access the EFM; it took an extra five minutes.

I ended up replacing the Electronic Flasher Module (EFM) and it works fine now. I have attached photos of the EFM and its' location. It is located underneath the instrument panel at the left rear side of the radio.

ElecFlasherMod2.jpg

The original EFM was yellow and the replacement is blue.

Thanks. This was the only post I could find in the whole world that helped me find the darned thing. My Haynes manual says it's attached to the side of the fuse box!!:notnice:

1990 Mustang LX (SSP) ECM/Turn Signal Relay

I know this response is a little old for this thread but I figured someone could benefit from my experience finding the second turn signal relay/ECM. Mine was located in plain view from the passenger side right behind the center console. I have attached pictures to show the location. Once this relay was replaced the turn signals worked exactly how they were supposed to. This relay is the same type of relay that regulates the hazard lights (which is located on the fuse panel) Good luck to the next guy that goes in search of the second ECM :flag:

Attachments

• IMG_20101119_171908.jpg
    IMG_20101119_171908.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 16,379
  • IMG_20101119_171902.jpg
    IMG_20101119_171902.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 37,296
I replaced the flasher module a year ago, the old one stuck into the on state either right or left signal and stopped clicking... the replacement is blue... original was yelow... now three days ago nor the dash right-hand-arrow indicator neither the front right amber turning light blink (stays off) but the module in fact does its clicking sound... after these three days the right-hand turning light works randomly... fuses are OK I suspect of the blinker... I replaced the alternator diode bridge last week two diodes were almost gone and couldn't get above 12,5V (battery died twice in a week now its OK)... I'll post how it goes...

The multifunction switch (turn signal lever) has a loose contact... I noticed it while flashing the hi-beams to another car while having the lever switched to the right: the dash indicator and amber front right turning light started to work... then I pushed the lever slightly as if I was trying to lock the hi-beams on, the turning signal stopped working... will have to do what wmburns said above...

i have 99 mustang v6......hazard light works...but turn signal lights dont work.

how can i fix this.... if it is relay ....where is it located.? i checked the fuse but seem ok... i cant find this relay thing i read about....

also since the hazard work......can i put the hazard fuse where the realy fuse is so i can test it......if so. where is the hazard and where is the relay fuse..

i have 99 mustang v6......hazard light works...but turn signal lights dont work.

how can i fix this.... if it is relay ....where is it located.? i checked the fuse but seem ok... i cant find this relay thing i read about....

also since the hazard work......can i put the hazard fuse where the realy fuse is so i can test it......if so. where is the hazard and where is the relay fuse..

I have a 97 Mustang but none of the turn signals work my cousin told me that they stopped when she installed the radio so does anyone know what wires are the ground
The ground wires to the GEM are black. The GEM ground is located behind the center console. It is shared with the radio, cluster, blower motor, and many other devices behind the dash. This ground is frequently messed up during a radio install.

The fuse panel schedule is different for the 1996-1998 model years but some of the same things still apply. IE that IF the hazards work but the turn signals do not the problem is most likely in the multi-function switch.