Two 71-73 Option Questions:

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
CT-USA
I may end up buying yet another 71-73 fastback (Mach1?) car to get the few hard to find interior parts that I need. Answering these 2 questions would help me narrow down acceptable candidates:

1. Were 71 and/or 72 fastbacks (Mach1?) available with the fold down rear seat and the trap door to the trunk?

1.a. Were 73 fastbacks (Mach1?) available with the package tray (shelf under the rear window)?

2. What's the difference between a 71-73 fastback and a Mach1?

Thanks
Svend

• Sponsors (?)

Platonic Solid said:
I may end up buying yet another 71-73 fastback (Mach1?) car to get the few hard to find interior parts that I need. Answering these 2 questions would help me narrow down acceptable candidates:

1. Were 71 and/or 72 fastbacks (Mach1?) available with the fold down rear seat and the trap door to the trunk?

1.a. Were 73 fastbacks (Mach1?) available with the package tray (shelf under the rear window)?

2. What's the difference between a 71-73 fastback and a Mach1?

Thanks
Svend

Yes both 71/72 sportsroofs/machs were available w/ folding rear seat. The package tray...I'm having a brain fart and cannot picture the fastback rear tray in my head...there is a tray back there but I can't think right off..someone else can help though. And differences between the two models...the Mach is like an upgrade to the sportsroof...you could get any engine option from the 250 to the 429SCJ in the sportsroof...with the Mach 1 your base model was the 351-2V. You got the exterior graphics of either the hockey stripes and hood blackout or just the Mach 1 badging. Ram air hood was still optional to that I believe. Interior packages in the Machs had the neato upholstery. And Alot of other things you typically see on the Machs were options outside the Mach 1 upgrade. I'm sure someone can offer more input though.

In 1971 -1973 the Mach One's base engine was the 302 2v. The main difference between a sport roof and Mach was the interior upgrades and exterior appearance package. I want to say that the 71 - 73 mach had a heavier suspension... but I am not sure - It seems like in those years - it was more dependent on engine/ trans options than model type.. For instance, all 4 spd cars came with staggered rear shocks - whether a mach or not.

Oh crud! Those are some speaker holes there.... maybe you should fill them in with the PO's skin? ( :rlaugh:

Seriously, though... there is a wrecking yard near me that I recall had a '73 mach (less front end to the windshield... it looked like it HURT) I'll check later this week and see what it's got- if it is still there. (I seem to think it was Ginger interior)

I'll get back later.

390Fe said:
Oh crud! Those are some speaker holes there.... maybe you should fill them in with the PO's skin? ( :rlaugh:

Seriously, though... there is a wrecking yard near me that I recall had a '73 mach (less front end to the windshield... it looked like it HURT) I'll check later this week and see what it's got- if it is still there. (I seem to think it was Ginger interior)

I'll get back later.

Yeah, looks like the PO discovered the hard way that the wheel wells don't allow enough room to mount speakers there. Kind of reminds me of my friend who mounted speakers above the arm rests on the doors of his 72 Coupe only to discover later that he couldn't open the windows more than a few inches :bang:.

Cool!! Any color works for me. I'll just paint them black. All the junk yards around here have long since gotten rid of their classics before they turned into classic New England rust.