Two lean systems codes and a funny noise...

MyEarsHurt

May 21, 2004
Two lean system codes and a funny noise...

Ok, PI swap is over and 50 miles later, I get a CEL, I check it and I get two codes.

1. System too lean bank 1
2. System too lean bank 2

I have a funny ticking noise on my passenger side, and I am not sure if its an exhaust leak between the header and the midpipe. Would an exhaust leak there cause me to be lean on both banks? :shrug:

My other theory is this...when I purchased the car, the previous owner said he had a "computer chip" installed. I never had a chance to ask him what kind, and I have never even looked to see what kind. Could an over-the-counter chip (jet or something) cause my car to lean out after the swap?

Any other theories or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

MyEarsHurt said:
Ok, PI swap is over and 50 miles later, I get a CEL, I check it and I get two codes.

1. System too lean bank 1
2. System too lean bank 2

I have a funny ticking noise on my passenger side, and I am not sure if its an exhaust leak between the header and the midpipe. Would an exhaust leak there cause me to be lean on both banks? :shrug:

My other theory is this...when I purchased the car, the previous owner said he had a "computer chip" installed. I never had a chance to ask him what kind, and I have never even looked to see what kind. Could an over-the-counter chip (jet or something) cause my car to lean out after the swap?

Any other theories or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Try checking for vacuum leaks, [perhaps between the Maf and throttle body] It's difficult to say if the ticking noise is a different problem,or the same. Try to narrow down where it's coming from, it may just be an
unrelated exhaust leak, which won't give you a PO171 and PO174 but an intake leak will. Also a dirty maf sensor can through those codes.