Uber Budget Fox Build

Boosted92LX

It's only an inch or two. What's the big deal?
15 Year Member
Dec 19, 2010
Finally got an old friend of mine to get his project car in gear today. This guy's been ratholing parts for years to build a fox, but he's had a lot going on in the last few years and never got around to it. I finally convinced him that despite his budget of practically nothing he had every thing to build this car minus a few gaskets, fluids and paint. I offered to do the paint and body and help with the build. The center peice? 1985 4 cyl auto coupe, recieving a 302 4bbl 5 speed.

The car was picked up for a few hundred dollars, but has been sitting for years. My friend insisted the residing 4 banger would start and run, but I was skeptical. Amazingly, by doing no more than adding a few gallons of fuel and charging the batt, it started and ran. Answering a CL wanted ad for a running 2.3 w/ trans we scored a buyer that would yield few hundred bucks of starting capitol.. So, today I helped him pull the engine/trans to get it ready to begin.

The first thing that will happen is a good cleaning of the engine bay, followed by paint to match the fresh coat of sonic blue this thing will wear after the body is slicked up. Between my parts cars and his, we have enough panels to replace what needs attention. A stock low mile long block from a wrecked 93 will go in along with a T5 with a centerforce dual friction clutch. A single plane weiand intake w/600cfm holley will feed her. Hooker Longtube headers , 3" H pipe and flowmasters will handle the spent gasses. Spindles and rear end from another wreck that was a 94 GT will hold the gently used 18" cobra r's with decent rubber that have collected dust for years now. (aquired for $250)

This guy has spent his whole life fixing everyone else's stuff while his goes neglected. I'm very excited for him to finally have a fox to drive coming together. It's rough now, but it won't be much longer, hopefully. Here's what it looks like now, I'll post more pics as it comes along.

2012-09-22_11-19-56_229_zpsba8ee6f9.jpg

2012-09-22_11-20-05_108_zps55e21809.jpg

2012-09-22_11-20-26_679_zps1dcbb80e.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I'm Glad for him Allen,....and kudo's to you for the being the friend you appear to be.

One thing though....................

uber

May 7, 2008 Urban Word of the Day
The ultimate, above all, the best, top, something that nothing is better than. Also Über
I'm Über confused...

I was expecting an absolutely no expense barred,mega dollar, even the valve stem caps getting replaced build when I read the title......

I guess you guys will be re using the valve caps then?:shrug:

I'm Glad for him Allen,....and kudo's to you for the being the friend you appear to be.

One thing though....................

uber

May 7, 2008 Urban Word of the Day
The ultimate, above all, the best, top, something that nothing is better than. Also Über
I'm Über confused...
I was expecting an absolutely no expense barred,mega dollar, even the valve stem caps getting replaced build when I read the title......

I guess you guys will be re using the valve caps then?:shrug:

Thanks, Mike. The emphasis on UBER was directed at the word BUDGET, haha.. I'm hoping we can put together a head turning car for next to nothing. I don't want to jinx it by ptting a dollar amount on it, but I think we've got a good shot at meeting the goal.

looks like a nice project whats the total budget for the build?

Like I replied to Mike, we haven't really put a number on it. Figure oil, trans fluid, gear oil, gaskets and sealants, paint and prep mat'ls. Basically all parts have been aquired through the years already, just some assembly required. Interior is acceptable save for a dash pad and some deep cleaning for now.:shrug:

All I care about is the fact you're painting it Sonic Blue. That is, IMO, the sexiest color blue. Ever. Hopefully by this Sunday, my car will be painted this exact color. Definitely gonna be watching this thread.

I bought mine to drive to the track and play and then drive home while I was working on my big dollar car. You know so I could have fun while still working on my project. Ya, haven't touched the project since I bought the driver. POS. How the guy I bought it from ever drove it I don't know. EVERYTHING was unsafe. Fire trap, bad suspension, trans, clutch, instrumentation, etc. UGH. Finally now that I have worked it out, I'm close to body and paint. May as well paint it now, its NEW.