Ultimate rear end build??

Ok, my trac-lock is going out and my rear end is leaking oil out the ends into the wheels, so I am going to pull the rear end this winter and rebuild it. I am also doing a 5 lug conversion and Cobra brakes and several engine mods and expect to be around 600rwhp.

My question is, what are you guys opinions on the best rear end parts/rebuild parts. I was going to go with stock length 5 lug axles from a ranger/aerostar, but I may go with Moser axles cause I don't know if the ranger/aerostar axles will hold up. I currently have 3:73's which I plan to stick with, but what type of dif should I get? It will be mostly a street car so I don't know if I should go with a locker or not. Also, can you guys point me to some sources to get some good quality complete rear-end build kits with new seals and all.

Any info/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'd go with Moser or strange axles if you plan on 600hp

Maby even a girdle would be a good thing. I like lockers but not on the street unless you get a ratcheting one that free wheels one axle around a corner unless you gas it.

I used an Eaton posi locker with 373s and Strange 31 spline axles. It is SOLID! I did not weld the axle tubes, because you always take the chance of warping them if you REALLY dont know what you are doing. I do like the above recommendation about only a ratcheting locker for street use. Mine is hard on tires because it is locked all the time. I also put upper and lower tubluar control arms, lower from MM and uppers form Jegs that are adjustable. Then you also need to weld all your torque box seems and consider subframe connectors if you havent already. I got all my stuff from Summit, MM, and Jegs.

Both my brother and I have built 8.8's in our 'Stangs. They're built identicle and have stood up to the abuse that we give them on the street and the track. He's got over 150 passes on his (8 years of abuse) and I've got over 40 on mine (3 years so far.)

We both use Detroit Locker units, 31 spline Superior axles, 4.30 Ford Motorsport gears, longer wheel studs and a Ratech rebuild kit. We did not weld the axle tubes.

Our cars run 12.50's but he's now in the 11.6 range with his new 337 stroker engine. We both drive 'em on the street many days during the week and the Detroit Locker units are very streetable.