*** Ultra Rare 1967 Mustang? , Please help

grego37

May 12, 2004
Fresno CA
Does anyone have any info on the following vehicle:

I have an opportunity to purchase an ultra rare 1967 Fastback that (apparently) came factory equipt with a Holman Moody Cobra independent rear end.

I was told this was one of two vehicles that were prepared like this, and the other is owned by the Ford Museum.

The info I got was from a very credible reliable source.
I dont have the vin yet, and have not seen the car yet. Im trying to get a headstart on this project .

Does anyone have any info on this car? Or any sugestions where I can check?
Im trying to varify its authenticity etc...
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Without a VIN, I don't know Kevin Marti would be some help, but I think you need to know the VIN first.

It wouldn't have been factory equipped, it would have went to HM for the conversion. Lee Holman is still around (his dad John passed away in '75 I think) he might recall. www.holmanmoody.com has contact info on it.

I did call Holman moody, They dont recall the project.
He mentioned they did sell these kits and someone could of installed it . He said to contact Kar Kraft maybe they could help. Im also waiting on an answer from the Henry Ford Museum.
still looking.

Sounds incredibly unlikely. No "production" '67 Mustang came from the factory with an independent rear suspension. Ford did investigate and design an independent rear suspension for the Mustang, but it never made regular production. With that in mind, it may be possible that the car you're looking at buying may be an in-house development vehicle that Ford fitted with the experimental independent rear suspension.

However, you need to be careful... There is a company currently selling independent rear suspension kits that are built from the original Ford design. Also, the name "Holman Moody Cobra" seems off... certainly Holman Moody did design work for Ford, but tacking the name Cobra on there would mean something else. It seems the Cobra name didn't become a meaningful term for Ford until later (though it did appear on Shelbys).

I don't know, but if you're seriously considering purchasing the car, make sure you get documentation and not just some story. There should be letters describing the car and the people working on it. You should be able to locate engineers or employees that remember working on the car. Ford was good about tracking VINs on development cars, so you might be able to get that kind of documentation too. Anything short of that kind of documentation should make you hesitate.

Hope this helps.:shrug:

Thanks guys, Ill continue research, and hopefully get hold of VIN and look for some tag or part#/casting# on the rear end.

My mechanic/guru is great friends with the owner and has had his eye on this car for a good 25years. So I do know its not a reproduction of any sort.
But I do need to find out if it was a documented experimental vehicle or just fitted with this rear end sometime after purchase.

Would the VIN # have any special coding if it were experimental? or is there an axel digit I should look for?

I remember reading some years back about a shelby that was made as a prototype with an IRS. Just a thought, many people use the term cobra and shebly interchangably (those that are not in the hobby). Could it have been one of those test cars? Mustang monthly had an artical about the one that I remember. I believe it was a dark green 67 fastback.

thanks for all the info so far guys.

MFP4073 ,
do you recall what issue or approx how long ago you read something like this in Mustang Monthly? I tried doing a search on their website and have not found anything yet.

Oooooouch!!!!

Basic Kit 1-23 $3500

26 Rebuilt Dana W/ Posi $2000

New Ford 9 Inch In Alum Case $3500

New Ford 9 Inch If You Have 31 Spline Center $2200

26b Pinion Support Kit $250

27 Baer Brakes Depending On Options $260

34-59 Bolt And Powder Coat Kit $300

-----------------------------------

Typical Total Cost With For 9 In. Center And Comp Brakes $7200

I dont remember. The issue was probably from some time around 1998. When I have a chance I will try digging around to see if I can find it. Something to consider, if the car is reasonable, just the cost of fabricating a setup like that is expensive and kinda cool. It may be worth ******ing up and worring about its originality later.

1320stang,

The oops was on my part.I never asked, I assumed this whole time it was a fastback, but it is a 67 coupe.

I have yet to see the car, its owned by a great friend of my mechanics, they're both in their 60's with fading memories.
Its still in the myth stages until I personally see it, run Vin # etc etc...
Im just trying to get a head start on the research