Unique 01-03 Mach 460 question...creating amp output

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Audio forum is dead, and I know there are some guys that really know their audio.

Custom setup, based on an 01-03 head unit. It's not in an sn95 mustang.

I have the basic radio wiring all set, as well as the 4 tweeters. Sound is crisp and loud here Only thong left to do is the amp plug.

I want it to power an aftermarket 4-channel amp which will power four mid/lows...I just need to create some RCA outputs.

Amp turn on is all taken care of. I soldered the + and - amp outputs to some rcas, but the output signal is two low. Connected to the amp, the sound is too low and I need max volume to get half decent sound out of the speaker.

I know there are line out converters but every install I see taps into the mid low speaker wiring. I can't do this because I don't have any mid/low speakers.

So does anyone have any ideas why the output from the sub plug is so low?

Please don't tell me to get an aftermarket HU. I have my reasons for doing this project, so I am looking for help...not criticism. If I wanted aftermarket hu...I would have bought one considering the entire rest of the stereo is aftermarket

• Sponsors (?)

When I installed a sub and amp in my last Mustang, I did the line-out converter mod on the Mach460 amp rack wiring. I'm sure that harness runs all the way to the head unit, so you could in theory install the line level converter right at the head unit, but you'd need a harness to cannibalize. Mustangworld Subwoofer install to Mach460

I have the harness.

The MW sub install shows tapping onto the speaker/wires post AMP. I know they don't claim it in the install, but after staring at wiring diagrams, those are in fact the rear speaker wires they are tapping into.

Problem is, i don't have the mid/lows...that's what i'm trying to create.

I soldered some RCA's onto the sub output plug, but it's such a low level that i need max volume just to barely hear anything when i connect to my amp and 4 mid/low speakers.

Basically my system is 95% aftermarket with only the head unit being factory. All i need is a good signal out on the amp line-outs. Right now, it's just too low level :shrug:

I would assume that there must be a place to tap into and then use a line output converter. The low volume condition that you are experiencing is from trying to take a high level (speaker wire) output and adding the low level (rca) plugs without a conversion. Is there any way that you can post up or pm me a picture of the back of the radio and the harness. I am a visual person and would need to see it. I did do something similar to what it sounds like you are trying to do with a Grand Prix and a Honda once. It did work, just took the right parts in the right places.