Unreliable TFI...help???

travbowl

New Member
Aug 9, 2004
2
0
0
Oregon
Ok, the car would die sometimes, or not start sometimes. Replaced the TFI, worked a little bit...but no...kept doing the same thing.

Took it off, and tried a thicker coat of dielectric grease...then it would not start at all.

Now, tried a pretty thin coat of it, and it worked about the first 20 starts..then died while driving. Wouldn't restaret. Tried about an hour later, and it started, and has worked perfect since (about 3 starts).

Is there a way to eliminate this ridiculously touchy part? Like a different ignition...or distributor...or something? Should I funnel air onto it to help cool it? Tips?? Help??

By the way...this is the passenger fender mounted TFI.
 
Have you replaced the cap and rotor, coil, plug wires, plugs recently? I had very similar problems and went through everything. Cap and rotor to start with, then plug wires new plugs, new coil and finally the TFI module.

My car never actually died while it was running but it would not start once the car got hot and I turned it off. Ignition/ spark problems can be a bitch. It took me forever to get it straight but the TFI module seemed to fix my problem but only after I replaced the rest of it.
 
Yes, I replaced Cap and rotor. Have not done plugs and wires yet though because the problem has to be with the TFI..considering it wouldn't start at all until I put a thinner layer on there.

Another note. When you first turn the key to ON all the guage warning lights come on...and when you start it, they turn off. Well, if the Check Engine stays on when trying to start it, it will not start. If if goes off when starting it, it will start...every time.