Update on accident (pics) and help with body shop dealings

Swede958

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
Austin, TX
Well, finally was able to go get some replacement parts for the poor spirit. I managed to get my grubby little swedish paws on a hood, a right headlight, a bumper and a new airbag for about $350. Don't think I did too bad on that.

Now I'm stuck trying to straighten out the radiator core support. As you'll see by the pics, it's been pushed in about 3/4" or so and to the driver side about 3/4 of an inch. Because of the shape it is in, I couldn't drive it to the nearest body shop for an estimate, so i took lots of pictures and brought them with me. Body shop guy said he couldn't do a thing with my pictures and that a front end allignment would cost between 2 and 3 grand normally. Even when I told him the front end didn't need alligned, just the support pulled back into place, he still said 2-3 thousand.

Now I'm not too bright about all this, but I'm pretty sure I'd be getting hosed if I took it to these guys. Does anyone have wanna take a WAG at how much it'd be to pull the top of a radiator support out 3/4"and to the side 3/4"? Bear in mind bumper and headlights are out, direct access to the support.

And yes, I've already tried farm-mechanics on it by hooking it to the truck with a tow strap and tugging on it, rocked the whole car but no movement really.

Thanks,
THe Swede

• Sponsors (?)

since you seem like a DIY type of guy (what with the truck & towstrap), I just have to suggest; try a tree and a come-along (hand winch type-o-thingy) Did it to a friends car once and it came out pretty well. (we were poor high school kids)

First you need a good anchoring point, like a large tree and tie downs to it.
then you need to use a good come-along anchored to something that will not move under the pulling strain.
It can be done with a various types of chain, straps and a BFH.

:rolleyes: Doing it by the old hook a truck and snap jerk will possabily do more damage than you have already.
Frame shops have the setups for anchoring both ends and pulling with slow even pressure, Using this in Mind .It will keep you from having to bend the parts back and forth, further weaking them.

PB

pabear89 said:
First you need a good anchoring point, like a large tree and tie downs to it.
then you need to use a good come-along anchored to something that will not move under the pulling strain.
It can be done with a various types of chain, straps and a BFH.

:rolleyes: Doing it by the old hook a truck and snap jerk will possabily do more damage than you have already.
Frame shops have the setups for anchoring both ends and pulling with slow even pressure, Using this in Mind .It will keep you from having to bend the parts back and forth, further weaking them.

PB

I agree with pabear. A good steady come along action can do wonders. If there is a spot that has a noticable crease in it or you can tell where the bending occurred, I would take a hammer to it and give it some firm hits once you get some pressure on it. Release the pressure regularly and recheck your measurements as you work it out. I usually use body hammers (you can get a set at Eastwood for $20) but you may have to use a small sledge on this.

harbor frieght has a hydralic press (cant remember the name) for straightening frames.

my dad bought one last year to fix his camper after he tore the steps off on a bump. I think he paid under $50 for it. you would have to distribute the fore of the thing with a 2x4 and gently try to push it out.