Update on erratic idle and stumble

86sebring

May 15, 2005
The crappy idle and stumble continued even after I switched the edelbrock for a Holley carb, so I figure it has to be something else. Today I fiddled with the vacuum advance in the distributor, loosened it and moved it around a bit. Right away when I started it afterwards, there was great idle, no more stuttering until I drove it for a while and then it started again. Could it be that it gets stuck in full advance mode and therefore has no idle?
How hard is it to rebuild a distributor and are there rebuild kits available ?
Or should I just get a aftermarket distributor?
thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I have the full msd setup and its night and day over a stocker. Save yourself some headache if you have the money and get the box/coil/dissy all together. You can sometimes catch a deal on ebay on used boxes. I have had bad luck with coils off ebay though getting bad ones :notnice:

I ran a mallory Unilite for years on a daily driver with no issues. I think the MSD ones are better but they cost twice as much and I don't think they are twice as good. Of course the Mallory costs three times as much as a factory refurb and I don't think it is three...well you get the picture :D

Do you have any friends or know anyone in the club that will let you swap theirs into your car for an afternoon to conclusively determine if that was the problem?

I would recommend trouble shooting the problem rather than just removing and replacing parts. However, I'm not the one to give advice on troubleshooting. I don't have much experience with working on older carbed vehicles.

My I6 has never had any problems, so I've never fiddled with it. Hopefully someone will post some troubleshooting advice.