UPDATE on roush

Roush97

Founding Member
Jun 9, 2002
Greencastle,Pa
its been awhile so i thought i would give everyone an update. to make a long story short my shm shm block that has 1500 miles on it has massive blowby. its bad at idle but under boost its insane. SOOO the engine is now out of the car and ready to go to a machine shop to reringed. why did this happen you ask, well the answer to that is that sean hyland tuned the car so rich while it was still being broken in and there was so much fuel covering the cylinder walls that the rings never had a chance to seat. as far as warranty goes im ****ed, i swapped the stage 1 shm heads and cams for a set of vt's. by doing that i voided any help i could have gotten from shm, and i understand and accept that. what i dont understand is why he would tune a car in such a way that is going to **** it up like this. last wednesday a friend of mine and i went up to kauffmans and pulled my engine due to the fact that the boys at kauffmans are so incredibly swamped. here are some pics
big fuggin hole
0240474r10208a.jpg

here she is setting very sadly on her jackstands. it breaks my heart
0240474r10229a.jpg

heres the engine just after we took off the tranny/clutch/flywheel/lt's getting ready to be torn down
0240474r104219a.jpg

0240474r105224a.jpg

and after i took off valve covers/intake/timing cover etc.
0240474r100200a.jpg

the only good thing that came of this is that i did get a chance to take pics of things that i wouldnt have gotten a chance to otherwise, most importantly my pretty fuel dist. block
0240474r10187a.jpg

and vt heads and cams
0240474r10040a.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

streetstang03 said:
thats horrible to hear. hopefully you will get it all settled soon. i would be pissed off at that tune as well. do you know how rich the motor was tuned to???

haha no, oddly enough an a/f graph was missing from my dyno sheet. i wonder why?? although i do take the blame as well because i knew it was horribly rich. setting in the garage (with both garage doors up) within 30 seconds the exhaust would burn your eyes and nose. i knew i should take it to kauffmans and get a GOOD tune but never got around to it. i never thought this would happen though

streetstang03 said:
are u running dumps on ur car?? in the 1st pic it looks like it. :shrug:

no the crossover is after the mufflers. since i wanted to keep the side exhaust, there is no room to put the mufflers any further back really so i had to get custom work done.

MoNsTaMaCk24 said:
Shea... Your car is doing a helluva good job holding that broom up!!! HAHA!!! Sorry to hear! I cant wait until you get it back!!! Good luck bro! Today 01:05 AM

haha thanks joe. sad part is thats the only thing its good for. that and taking up a nice little corner space in kauffamans shop

One of the sweetest ROUSH mustangs period

Thanks for the update. Wondering where you were on the project.

You're ahead of me in plans to do the same thing to my S2 ROUSH. Hate to hear SHM let you down that way, I guess it's feast or famine with them.

Good luck.

Was the tune bad after you switched cams tho, or did you check it before aswell. Surely if you swapped the cams you needed a new tune. The initial one wont be right anymore? :shrug:

007 said:
Was the tune bad after you switched cams tho, or did you check it before aswell. Surely if you swapped the cams you needed a new tune. The initial one wont be right anymore? :shrug:

theres some confusion here...it came FROM SHM running rich as hell. that was last year.nothing was added. it was run 1500 miles in that state until i decided to get serious and take it to kauffmans to put on a set of vt heads and cams in a few months ago. when the heads/cams were swapped the car was incapable of being tuned, due to the bad rings. the blow by was found because at the same time i went with breathers so the smoke pouring out of my valve covers was noticable.

Roush97 said:
theres some confusion here...it came FROM SHM running rich as hell. that was last year.nothing was added. it was run 1500 miles in that state until i decided to get serious and take it to kauffmans to put on a set of vt heads and cams in a few months ago. when the heads/cams were swapped the car was incapable of being tuned, due to the bad rings. the blow by was found because at the same time i went with breathers so the smoke pouring out of my valve covers was noticable.

Got it. If you can prove it was running rich as hell from SHM they they should have to cover it tho?
:notnice:

FST FORD said:
i saw ur car at kauffman's a little while back...badass ride you have :nice:

i wanted to ask dave (but he was busy); if he knew what tach mount you have, if it is the upr one? i like where it is positioned.

its just the bracket that came with it modified to fit. its basically exactly the same thing as a brooke's/upr tach bracket. im taking that tach out so if you want the bracket, you can have it.

:notnice: SHM :notnice:

I PURCHASED A PAIR OF CAMS FOR MY 99 FROM SHM AND IT WAS A HORROR STORY,FIRST OF ALL BAD TECH,THEY TOLD ME TO PUT WASHERS IN MY HEADS AS SHIMS,THEY ARE EXPENSIVE AND IRRESPONSIBLE!!! I WAS TOLD THE CAMS WILL BE FINE WITH STOCK VALVE SPRINGS AND THAT WAS NOT TRUE AT ALL.IT WAS JUST A HORROR STORY

NEVER WILL I BUY FROM THEM AGAIN OR EVEN THINK ABOUT USING THEM FOR NOTHING!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: