upgrading fuel system

Daniel50

Mar 30, 2005
Discovery Bay, CA
getting ready for a h/c/i swap so i figure i would do the little things first. i will be upgrading my fuel system. going with a:

-walbro 255lph fuel pump
-kirban fuel pressure regulator
-24lb injectors
-75mm pro-m calibrated for the 24's.
-New fuel filter

i figure my stock fuel rails and fuel lines will be able to handle the 300 whp goal and 370+ whp goal with a 100 shot of nitrous. is there anything i am forgetting? setup sound good?

• Sponsors (?)

I havent had any experience with dry kits. So maybe someone else can chime in. But Id reccomend switching to a wet kit. Hits harder and you will get more ET out of a 100 shot wet over a dry as Im sure you know. Either was it should fly.

Numbles said:
I havent had any experience with dry kits. So maybe someone else can chime in. But Id reccomend switching to a wet kit. Hits harder and you will get more ET out of a 100 shot wet over a dry as Im sure you know. Either was it should fly.

Agreed. Wet kits are safer as well as more efficient.

May I recommend NX

Daniel50 said:
not sure where you guys are getting an nx install from. my nitrous kit isnt what im asking about. i dont want a wet kit i want to keep my dry kit. my question is will my fuel system support my h/c/i and nitrous.

Yes it will support it, wether it all works smoothly and safely with a dry kit is a different question. Wether it will smoother and safer with a wet kit is also I different question, with a different answer. But....I guess you dont want to here that answer.

Just trying to let you know that their only trying to help and offer you other things to think about.

The fuel filter should be replaced every 15-20K miles anyways. Don't worry about "hi-flow" fuel filters, I can assure you that they won't make a difference.

The fuel pump should be the first thing. Not only is it the weakest link in the fuel chain but if yours is stock, it's probally old. Fuel pumps usually get weak before they die, so you will read the proper fuel pressures but the question is "will it flow".

A adjustable fuel pressure regulator is a good tool for tuning. EFI systems in most cars are designed to run between 35-45psi normal operating pressures. Increasing fuel pressure to make up for insufficient injectors is not the proper way to increase fuel. A proper working EFI system's PCM will compensate for proper fuel:air ratio, so adjusting fuel pressure doesn't really change things much. If your running rich or lean and the problem isn't in the lack of fuel then it is something else.

19's are good for about 300rwhp, after that 24's are about as big as the fuel lines can flow. I have heard SN-95 5.0 Fuel rails are better. If I were going with anything bigger than 24's I would look into larger fuel lines and some fuel rails.

9250stang said:
Agreed. Wet kits are safer as well as more efficient.

I STRONGLY DISAGREE! I have seen too many wet kits over the years puddle up in the upper intake (which was never designed to deliver fuel) and blow up things. Like, intakes blown off, throttle body blades turning into tacos, mass air's and elbows blowing off and up, filter catching fire and blowing up......etc..

I would stick with the Dry Kit and you should be fine with the combo you mentioned.

Sorry to recommend to wet kit. Your fuel setup will work fine with your dry kit. Just adding a recomendation. Wet vs dry is a preferance thing. I like taking the ford computer out of the equation with nitrous.

Numbles said:
Sorry to recommend to wet kit. Your fuel setup will work fine with your dry kit. Just adding a recomendation. Wet vs dry is a preferance thing. I like taking the ford computer out of the equation with nitrous.

Don't apologize. Your were just giving a suggestion. It's what the boards are for.