Upper steering column bearing

jws66m

Oct 5, 2018
Utah
Rebuilding everything in steering but the question I have is does anyone know how the upper steering column bearing and sleeve came from the factory. All of the rebuild kits out there come with a plastic sleeve but I have a metal one with a gap in it. Don't have a pic right now but will later. Cleaned the bearing out and it is smooth as butter. Add some cerulean grease and its golden.

• Sponsors (?)

Rebuilding everything in steering but the question I have is does anyone know how the upper steering column bearing and sleeve came from the factory. All of the rebuild kits out there come with a plastic sleeve but I have a metal one with a gap in it. Don't have a pic right now but will later. Cleaned the bearing out and it is smooth as butter. Add some cerulean grease and its golden.
Nevermind. It is an oem part I have. They came metal cut just the way mine is.

Yes, the OEM ones are metal, the repros are plastic(I think there are a few metal repros as well) it is held in place inside the bearing with the spring under the hub. The plastic ones are quieter if you care about that type of thing. The metal ones are slightly more durable...I think its existence is rather silly to begin with, Ford should have just used a bearing with the correct ID to start with. I didn't feel like looking for another bearing that worked though, so I used Ford's design

Yes, the OEM ones are metal, the repros are plastic(I think there are a few metal repros as well) it is held in place inside the bearing with the spring under the hub. The plastic ones are quieter if you care about that type of thing. The metal ones are slightly more durable...I think its existence is rather silly to begin with, Ford should have just used a bearing with the correct ID to start with. I didn't feel like looking for another bearing that worked though, so I used Ford's design

I cleaned the bearing real good and will grease it, and will reuse the metal sleeve. I've looked everywhere, there is no 1 7/16 OD 3/4 ID bearing out there. Only one I found is spherical so that means it is heim type, wont' work. There are a few sealed that are 1 3/8 so it will be a little short. I plan on either find a metal ring to fill in the gap or I'll just create my own with the corrct thickness of metal so there is zero play.

Original is good for now thought. Bigger projects to tackle.