URGENT* Car not starting...ODD problem

click

Nov 13, 2003
I dont really know how to describe this since ive never seen anything like this...but... okay to start i was at a friends house and i was leaving. I got into my car and put the key in a pressed the clutch and turn the key and nothing happened. So i took the e-brake off and backed the car down the driveway, and got the car stopped. I got out of the car the keys were in the ignition but in OFF position and when i opened the door the alarm went off. I never even knew i had an alarm. So now the car does weird ass crap...Like the power doors wont work. The front ambers, tailights, and dash are flashing simeltaneously. I swaped the batteries and that didnt work. I have no idea what is wrong and my car is sitting on the other side of the city... Plz help.

• Sponsors (?)

well, i would have thought that when you got in the car or attempted to start it (if there is a starter interrupt, which it sounds like), the alarm should have gone off then.

first thing is find the alarm (do you guys have factory alarms that work like Click's?).

does your buddy have an alarm? im trying to think of how it could have armed over there (i.e. if someone there armed their alarm and it turned your mystery alarm on, etc).

good luck.

click said:
I dont really know how to describe this since ive never seen anything like this...but... okay to start i was at a friends house and i was leaving. I got into my car and put the key in a pressed the clutch and turn the key and nothing happened. So i took the e-brake off and backed the car down the driveway, and got the car stopped. I got out of the car the keys were in the ignition but in OFF position and when i opened the door the alarm went off. I never even knew i had an alarm. So now the car does weird ass crap...Like the power doors wont work. The front ambers, tailights, and dash are flashing simeltaneously. I swaped the batteries and that didnt work. I have no idea what is wrong and my car is sitting on the other side of the city... Plz help.

Same thing happened to me when I first got my car. It had an aftermarket alarm, and they lost the remote. So they put it on valet. But when I had to replace a sensor, I disconnected the battery, which reset the alarm. So when I hook it back up, the alarm starts going off & I can't shut it off.

Typically underneath the steering column, there will be a brain with wires coming from it. Usually, if the alarm is installed correctly, the brain can be removed & the factory wiring can be restored by simply connecting the connectors back together (mine was that simple).

You may have to re-wire it. Get a voltmeter or a test light to determine each wires function & get some crimpers/strippers & some butt connectors. There should be a main ground, a always hot +12V, a +12V that is only on when the key is in the ignition, an a +12V that is on when you are cranking the starter. Figure which is which, restore the wiring, and you are done.
Scott