Using obd 1 tester?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd just use the book that the tester came with. That will tell you when to switch what buttons on, etc.

Good luck.

Yeh I tried it out and it said 6cyl and made it idle high for a second then it said 000 and my CEL went out but my car is a 5.0...I dunno can these testers clear cel codes?

Did you hook it up under the dash or under the hood? The under dash ports are for OBD II which would be a V6. Look on the passenger side on the engine comp, all the way in the back. Its a bigger black plug, and a smaller gray plug.

Yeh I got it on the passenger side firewall plugs. Im using a "Ford obd1 code reader" It was the $40 one...pluged in the plugs while teh car was runing because I only get a CEL after it was running for a while. I turned the thing on and hit the Test/Hold button and it said 6cyl...reved high and came back down and screen said 000 and the CEL was gone...but it seems like the car is sluggish? I stilll need to change the cap,rotor and plugs as I havnt did them and I usualy do that right when I buy a car.

You don't connect it to a running vehicle. Previous CEL illuminations/codes are stored in the computer for retrieval even if the CEL is not on at that instant.

Again, just run through the procedure in the manual that came with the reader. It will save time in the long run.

Good luck.