using oil after H/I swap

darthcual

Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
I recently did a gt40p/cobra intake swap on the 93 and everything seems to be working as far as power goes, but I keep getting a oil light after about a tank of gas.(Half a quart low) I have noticed a tapping behind the driverside valve cover but it comes and goes and have not been able to pinpoint it. Also blows smoke from the tail pipes, again it comes and goes and doesnt really happen the same time as the valve/lifter tapping noise. Motor did not do this before the swap so it was something I have done. The Motor was redone in '09 to a 306. The heads were in the machine shop and had the valves redone, also in 2009. However, they sat until just a few months ago. I wonder if the valve seals went bad since they were just sitting in the garage? Any one have any insight on this?

• Sponsors (?)

First question: Is it a Made in China Cobra repop intake? The easy identifier for that is it will have a "Ford Racing" emblem near the throttle body.

If yes to number one, did you notice if it had a large oil baffle on the underside of the lower intake? It would have covered over half of the underside.

If no to that one, you're a victim of the Chinese Cobra Oil Consumption Problem. To confirm this diagnosis, pull the plugs. I'm betting that you will find 1,2,3,5,6 and 7 are clean while 4 and 8 will be fouling with oil.

This is a known issue with these intakes, especially when used on an engine with heads and a cam. If you bought it new, FRPP will supply you with a new baffle and intake gasket set. For me, that still didn't fix the problem completely, so I sold it and bought a GT40 tubular. The problem then went away. Do some searching here and on the Corral and you will see that this is quite a common problem.

Bump. I have oil on #8 but not #4. Pulled some other plugs and I have crusted caked on oil on them. I pulled the upper intake and their was a little oil in it, not enough to drip though. And oil on the intake gasket.

So after bouncing back and forth on whether to buy a different intake or not we decided on this.....
intakebottom.jpg

I know its kinda redneck but if it works it will have saved me a bunch of money and others will be able to do this or something like it and fix their oil consumption problem.

Attachments

• intakebottom.jpg
    intakebottom.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 64
Its not the gaskets as they were sealed. So well in fact we had to pry the lower intake off with a pry bar. This is a well documentented problem. Hopefully we fixed the problem. As soon as the oil gets changed I will find out.