v6 clicking noise

Stangsonly

Aug 20, 2010
Hey guys I'm new here to StangNet.com but I was driving my mustang the other day and I heard a clicking noise from when I started it but it got louder as I accelerated. The noise does not go away when the engine heats up. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome.

The post did not state WHERE the clicking noise was coming from. Nor does it state if the frequency varies with engine or car speed.

However, when hearing a clicking noise from the drive line, one of the first thoughts should be U-joints.

Sorry the sound is coming from the passengers side of the engine bay and it starts as soon as I start the car and gets louder as I accelerate. I was thinking maybe it could be a cracked exhaust manifold since ford had the great idea to let the water from the a/c land on the exhaust and exhaust manifold :(

I seem to have or had many of the problems I have responded to. I as well have that clicking sound. It started as soft but rapid clicking, but as I ignored it; it became louder to the point where I realized it's an exhaust leak. This might be the case with you as well. Make sure the manifolds are flush and tight. I put headers on mine and the leak was because they loosened up on me.

+1 on the exhaust leak. Also check to be sure that the spark plugs are not backing out.

However, the symptom that the noise goes away when hot would tend to suggest an exhaust manifold leak.

Remember, that an exhaust leak may cause a chronic rich condition. The check engine light will be confusing as more often than not, the DTC code is for a lean condition. However, since you stated the leak goes away when hot, for the time being you should be safe.